Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, changed my head gasket, exhaust and inlet as well - 9000 CS 2.0 LPT (1996)

Had numerous problems - including a stalling problem.

Took car for 20 mile run, and it's stopped stalling now, but has these 3 "problems" which are probably related.

Low temperature guage - about 1/4 on the guage. collant sensor was replaced.
Slightly (occasional) erratic tickover - ticks at approx 750 - 800, then jumps to over 1000RPM and drops back to normal.
Occasional judder on gentle acceleration and cruising.

I suspect the following could be a problem.

Thermostat either dodgy or re-fitted incorrectly, causing it not to open, therefore engine getting hot.
Possibly a fuel blockage which is causing the juddering.
Vaccum leak - I've checked all hoses etc, and can't find one - any ideas on how to find a vacuum leak - maybe from the inlet manifold to head itself (although the bolts are all tight).

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I assume your car used to have the temperature gauge at 9 o'clock? I have found that this varies from car to car. My '96 Aero has always sat at around 8 o'clock. So does my '96 2.0LPT auto, although it used to sit at 9 o'clock with the 89 deg thermostat (I've fitted an 82 deg one for reasons of availability rather than any other reason). The thermostat in the Aero is an 89 deg one, though.

The new sensor might be making the difference. I don't think the temperature gauge can be relied on to be accurate. Consistency is all that you can hope for, but the consistent reading might change to a new consistent reading when you change the sensor.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Sorry - forgot to comment on the vacuum leak.
I had the manifold off the Aero a few months ago and thought I'd got the gasket faces clean enough. However, I got a leak at the gasket. Next day, I went out to buy some liquid gasket stuff. By the weekend, a couple of days later, it had fixed itself vbefore I'd had a chance to do anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any ideas on the juddering during gentle acceleration (under load)??

Could be that there is still a vacuum leak, but the car has learned to cope, or a fuel blockage or air bubble?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.