Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
hi there, i dont know if SAAB's are the same as other car makes, but if you take your log book (registration details of the car), to a local dealer, and id of yourself, they should be able to order a new key from the chassis number. this is providing the lock has not been changed since the car was bought new. i have done the same on both, FORDS and ROVERS, and have on both occasions, got replacemnet keys from dealer with this method, so i think SAAB, should be the same.

hope this helps

teesside saab

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Just to clarify on /John's point, as you are in the US:

The V5 in the UK is just a document showing the vehicle registration, owner, chassis, engine and VIN number. Don't know what the equivalent document in the US will be..

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin Mc:
[qb]Just to clarify on /John's point, as you are in the US:

The V5 in the UK is just a document showing the vehicle registration, owner, chassis, engine and VIN number. Don't know what the equivalent document in the US will be..[/qb][/b]
I think it's called the pink slip?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Doesn't anyone find that scarey.. considering the VIN number on newer Saabs is on public display through the window?

I had a similar experience in getting replacement keys for my NG900 2.3 when I dropped the keys(including the spare set) into a canal by mistake.

Three days later I had 2 sets of keys again, all for the sake of a phone call, no ID nothing.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hmmmn? I'd expect the dealer to takes steps to confirm your identity before making up a key.

If they have the alarm/immo as on the modern ones, then just the key would be no good to you - you would need another to have it cloned or you would need to cough up £2700 for new alarm system according to recent posts.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Originally posted by Mark Anderson:
[qb]Doesn't anyone find that scarey.. considering the VIN number on newer Saabs is on public display through the window?[/qb][/b]
I don't find it scarey as on the 9-3 and 9-5 you have to have the key's Tech 11'd to your car for them to be able to work the ignition so I can't see the dealer releasing them without having the car there to Tech 11 them in.I know when I ordered the later style key (all the remote buttons on the key)I had to pick it up in my 9-5 and have it Tech 11'd before they would hand the key over.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had a similar experience in getting replacement keys for my NG900 2.3 when I dropped the keys(including the spare set) into a canal by mistake

If someone had meant to do that, I'd be signing in at the nearest nstitution, unless they were a Daewoo driver of course!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.