Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with boost drop.I've just bought the car from a friend which has been tweaked a bit by Abbott and ran 253bhp with 331lbs torque,problem is the boost comes in and the needle goes into the red,which is fine but,drops instantly back to the yellow.Is it a knackered actuator? as it was on my other car or is it normal for the Saab? You feel it most in third as the initial kick drops off rapidly.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
There are numerous things you can check for a problem like this. Start by checking the boost/vacuum lines to and from the turbo, boost solenoid and wastegate actuator. Also check the line from the throttle body to the dump valve. Check the entire pressurized intake section for possible source of leaks as everything may be holding until a certain pressure and then suddenly letting go. Check for holes in the hoses and such.

Also, the other thing that can cause this type of problem is that the ECU may be detecing knock and dialing back the boost. Check the condition and gap of the spark plugs. Modified engines that run high boost will deteriorate the conditions of the plugs quite a bit. Be sure they are the original type specified in your owners manual as well. Also, be sure you are only putting in Super + fuel as lower quality fuel can cause the ECU to back things off. If you do indeed have a bad tank of gas, the problem should clear itself up after a while.

Also, I don't see in your post what model and year you have. It is good to post those types of details to help others help you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah,sorry.It's a 93' 9000 CS 2.3 turbo,Abbott ECU,full exhaust,K and N filter and recirculating dump valve,no idea what boost it runs from that as it only has the standard guage at the moment.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Also worth having a quick chat with Abbott, since you have one of their products. If you approach them diplomatically and speak to the right person, they can be quite helpful.

Cheers

James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts