Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a small problem that is beginning to annoy me . I have completely (well almost) lost my first and second gears. I can just get them in every now and then but most of the time it goes into 3rd or 4th instead.

It seems that the 1st and 2nd selection points seem to have mooved over to the left and are now unobtainable.

Has anyone heard of this before or know of any solutions?

Many Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Its a commonish fault on the older 9000 models (you didn't state the year of yours). Basically the rubber bush in the gear linkage fails and the gear selector rod rotates in the bush rather than transmitting the turn to the gear box. A temp fix can be performed using a couple of jubilee clips (or big cable ties) but it will need replacing.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again. mmmm small problem.
It seemed to have fixed it but the problem has returned. I think I replaced the wrong bushing. I replaced the pair of bushes at the base of the gear stick. Where abouts is the bushing that you are talking about ? I cant seem to find it on the parts CD so a part number would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance and a happy new year.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by scallywag:
[qb]Its a 1990 9000 CSE 2.0. [/qb][/b]
Umm are you sure you've got the model/year correct? The CS variant wasn't introduced until 91/92 (J plate onwards).

Anyway the part being referred to is the rubber coupling that is accessible from the engine compartment.

Part No 75 99178 until MY93, then 44 77147 MY94-. This later part also fits the earlier models.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread, but this is the reason I have rejuvinated it (in case anyone has any alternative ideas).

I had problems this afternoon where is was going into 1st and 2nd MOST of the time, followed by sometime, and finally (after maybe a total of only 20 miles and a dozen or so gear changes) its not going into the first 2 gears at all.

(Sorry, its a 1994 2.3T 9000 with uprated BHP etc...)

For information, the gear stick goes straight up and down for 3rd and 4th as it should, and (on the spring) into 5th and reverse as normal.

The gearstick appears to go over to 1st and 2nd (much weaker spring - is that right?) but instead of going into 1st or 2nd it actualy ends up in 3rd or 4th respectively.

(it does feel like gearbox parameters have shifted, as per previous posts in this thread)

Having just spend around a £1000 on 2 seperate gearbox problems recently (firstly reverse, then 3 and 4 cog going bald) I really hope to hear that it is probably just the visible linkage (bush, clamp etc) that needs sorting.

However, any other ideas or advice would be appreciated, because where its parked it will be awkward to get it rolling from 3rd and get it through town without destroying clutch etc' before I reach the garage tomorrow.

Thankyou in advance for any speedy replies.
Andy.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply and (I hope) some reassurance and I will look at it tomorrow.

If it is in fact the linkage and I can patch it up the Blue Peter way using clamps or sticky backed plastic (haha) I will post the result.

Cheers,
Andy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I fixed mine with 3 or four long, plastic tie wraps. Like you I was releived it wasn't a gearbox fault.
If you stand on the passanger side of the engine compartment
and look down between the main bulkhead and the back of the engine you may be able to make out the part. Put your hand down and get someone to wiggle the gear lever. A head torch is useful. THe part in question looks like a rectangular piece of black rubber about 3cm wide by 5cm high,2cm thick with a metal plate and gear rod heading of in either direction. You can reach down and put a tie wrap round it relatively easily, particularly if you thread the tie wrap loosly first then 'lassoo" the part with the wrap. I fixed mine this way temporarily then never bothered touching it again since it worked perfectly. (slight increase in noise transmission from the engine bay into the cabin). The proper part was over fifty quid. I was told I had to buy a whole new rod.
Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts