Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

while comming home from work last night my 2.3 Carlsson seemed to lose power under load, the engine runs fine untill you put your foot down, no pull at all, the engine/exhaust sounds just seem to be very loud but the car doesn't pull when the turbo cuts in, i have had this problem before and the culprite was a hose that had come off, this time all hoses are fine, not sure what to check nexed so any thoughts/advice to point me in the right direction would be great. Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's underneath the turbo- ideally you need to look at it from underneath the car, but you can feel around from the top. Very often the clip holding it on the the wastegate will fail and it falls off. See pic below...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just checked the rod and it is connected correctly, couldn't see any split or worn hoses, took her for another drive, the serious lack of power is not constant, one minute she pulls well under load the nexed completly flat, there is no check engine light on at all, so could the wastegate be at fault? or perhaps the actuator?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disconnected the w hose from the automatic boost control valve, went for a spin and the power loss has gone, the turbo cuts in much later than it normally would but when it did the boost was mighty.

I assume this means that the automatic boost control valve is faulty?
I suppose that would explain why some days i had bags of performance

other days she just seemed to lack some in the all round performance. I will proberbly install a manual boost control valve, any thoughts on where best to obtain one?
Cheers Mark in Ireland not the first time you have helped me out, nice one

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after reading other post regarding the MBC, i am now woundering if a MBC is what is required, it seems that MBC will , well kind of take over the job of the ECU?, i have an abbott ECU fitted, i don't really want to messs with the timing/engine set up etc for this ECU, would a MBC do this? should i just replace the automatic boost control valve for a new one?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
As long as you're careful and don't set the MBC too high, the Abbott ECU can cope with the fueling/timing requirements and you can actually get a little more performance out of it- I ran this set up for a while with no problems.

The MBC only "takes over" the APC boost control mapping of the ECU- the fueling and timing are still under ECU control, although if you push it too far it might be outside the mapping range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts