Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help!! my '89 9000 turbo 16 has stopped giving me 1st and 2nd gear,a very sudden and unexplained happening. fluid levels are constant,no crunching on 3,4,5 or reverse? is this terminal?is the end in sight for my black beauty??

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Hi! and welcome to Saabscene

I don't have a 9000 so I'm guessing a bit, but there has been recent postings about losing some gears due to a failed rubber bush on the gear change (though maybe that loses 3rd and 4th). Try using the Search function from the links above and restrict your search to the "Saab 9000 forum" to save time. And search over a longer period han standard.

If that doesn't work I'm sure one of the 9000 experts will be along soon.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Could be wear in the linkages/bushes which mean motion is lost before the gear lever action gets to the gearbox. As it is 1st and 2nd it looks like leftwards movement is being lost, check for play in the gear lever action and linkages before blaming the gearbox, you could be lucky.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
It will be the rubber bush link between rod from gearbox and rod from gear lever. Look down between battery, brake resevoir, and throttle body area and you should see the bush in question. When it fails it still alows fore/aft movement (3rd and 4th OK) and rotation in the direction of rubber compression (5th OK), but when rotated so that rubber is in tension thats when the split rubber shows up and you loose 1st and 2nd. Temporary fix is to wrap wire round it. Easy to change just two nuts and bolts if I remember, but heps if you have long arms!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou one and all. i feel i have gained a family,a brethern!!
it does appear to simply be that rubber bush thingy, and a temporary repair has been made with cable ties,you clever helpful people.
once again the throaty growl can be heard in the scottish hills. . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.