Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm losing compression on number 2 cylinder just 40 pounds should be about 150 , its a 1999 v6 turbo 9-5 griffin , is it much of a job to take off the head at the front of the engine ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did one three or four years ago. Idle pully bearing seized up and the cam belt jumped.. I did a pressure test by adapting a spark plug to a pipe feeding in compressed air with a gauge connected. Tried each cylinder with the valves closed and determined it was the front head at fault , if it had been the rear think I would have scrapped it!.
How difficult it is depends how good you are, "it is not a job for the inexperienced!". Make sure your timing marks are lined up, you can get a kit to fix the timing gear, but as you are taking the camshaft out it is not much use to you, I used g clamps anyway.
If I recall there is no marks to detemine which way the camshaft pulley bolts back onto the shaft . you can get it 180 degrees wrong, so mark it if you take it off .
When you get the camshaft out you might want to do some kind of pressure test again, if you tap the valve stems with a light hammer you should get a metallic sound showing that they are seating OK, two of mine did not because they were slightly bent. I do not have the experience to know why a valve or cam follower might stick, but I feel it would be worth looking at this before taking the head off.

Well it took me two afternoons with plenty of tea. so good luck if you have a go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.