Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rather wierd sound has been coming out of my car. It only happens if the car is warm and at idle. Most of the time it only comes after starting the engine when it hasn't been sitting for long. Sometimes it will come during and idle on a warm day. Its a kind of whinning noise thats rotating.

What is it? Does it need attention?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what the noise might be but feel that all strange noises should be clearly identified before deciding what to do.

Have you tried observing the car / engine closely to see if you can narrow down the area where it is coming from ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
try using a long screwdriver against the engine where you hear the noise (be careful with rotating parts though!) If you press your ear aainst the handle of the screwdriver it will act as a stethoscope (sorta!) and transmit noise from a very small area of the engine into your ear. It sounds weird I know, but you'll have to try it to appreciate what you can hear...

Greg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I finally got around to trying to figure out where the noise is coming from and now its coming more often. Here's a pic because I don't know what each pulley does:

I think its coming from the one circled in grey, but it could be coming from the one below, I can't really tell. I didn't want to do the screw driver thing because the pulleys are rotating and I don't want to damage anything.

Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.