Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to adjust my headlights tonight as they were pointing skyward. Shining the lights against the garage door I first of all tried adjusting them using the switch on the dash, but this didn't do anything. The plastic adjusters also had no effect so out of frustration I removed the plastic covers on the rear of the light units to try and find out what was wrong. I was able to grab hold of the connector for the bulb and move the whole reflector unit around a good 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Basically both units flap around in the breeze and don't seem to be connected to anything. I will take the unit out tomorrow to try and find out what is happening. In the meantime if someone can shed some light on what's happening I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
The bulbs are supposed to be held tight in the back of the reflector by a sprung catch; sounds as though this is not engaged properly. Seating the bulbs and engaging the clips may be all that is required.

HTH.
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Basically, the reflector should be held in place by a knurled fixing and the adjuster is a threaded rod that goes in and out of this threaded adjuster.

Mine was also broken off so I just drilled the headlight mounting and popped a couple of self tapping screws in to hold the knurled bit in place.

David.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Here, had a moment to snap a couple of pics, I'm guessing is that yours is similar. What is amusing is that the car needed beam adjusting at the last MOT but I didn't discover the moving reflector problem until much later so I wonder exactly what the garage adjusted?! (I don't suspect them of breaking anything, that's much older)



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the info and pictures, that was spot on.
I didn't have any plastic left to screw self tappers into so I cut some spacer tube to length and secured the whole lot with a bit of araldite - job done.
My lights have motors on the back which I presume is for the adjuster switch on the dash. The problem is the motors are exposed (no covers on them) and I cant see any connections that would reach the motors anyway. A job for another day methinks seeing as its chucking it down now.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top