Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst having a look in the engine room I found that the brass union in the throttle body had come away. It's just inside the mouth of the body on the lower surface - seems to be connected to a rubber breather pipe.

On a normally aspirated car it wouldn't trouble me - but this is a 2.3 stg 1 lpt.

As a temporary fix I cleaned everything up with carb cleaner and used a smear of araldite rapid.

I left it for an hour or so, took it for an off boost spin to get some heat under there and let it cure for another hour. Just given it a good WOT run it has held so far.

Any ideas for a permanent cure?

( No better boost now its connected --- but it seems to spin up faster )

Alyn

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've had this problem with the same union (it sounds like it, anyway) on both my 9000 turbo's.
To be honest, Araldite sounds like a good fix, as long as it holds up to the heat. Time will tell!

I used JB Weld (there are a host of similar products, available in halfords et al.), which is fairly similar in principle (2 pack adhesive). On the old one, it was still fine when I sold it 6 months later. On the new one I'm 3 months or so down the line and no problem so far.

I honestly don't think anything more complicated is called for.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
While not a common fault, I have heard of this happening on 6 or 7 cars now, mainly with lower or downward nipples (oil ingress??).

I wouls have used Araldite too (but not rapid which can go soft with heat).

Andrew.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
I shall get hold of some JB weld and use that if the araldite repair fails. (Should have remembered that about the heat making "Rapid" soften)
- Incidentally the other brass union failure that I know of was on the Reliant Scimitar's webber, later fuel unions were "pinned" - early ones an interference fit. If an early union pulled out the fuel pump sprayed petrol over the engine - the ensuing fire usually led to a complete and very quick total destruction.

Alyn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.