Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm for me, on my MY97 CSE 2.3, do I need to use Loctite 518 to seal the timing cover?

I keep meaning to check my Haynes while I am in the shed working on it, and I keep forgetting...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I used Loctite Instant Gasket, the orange stuff on both cars. Worked fine - oil/water/temperature resistant.
I seem to remember being carefull not to get any in the oilway at the bottom left (?). Also used some on the water pipe O-ring where it goes into the back of the water pump. To make sure this pipe went in far enough I remember levering it in and then tightening the pipe clip on the engine block. When starting the engine up after the work, there will be a lot of rattles from the valve lifters as they refill with oil but this goes after a few minutes - on the first car (a friends) I thought the oilway had blocked and starved the oil supply but luckily it went quiet just as he turned up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.