Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car started life as a vector sport with hirsch upgrades (spoiler , rear deffuser , and super inca alloys )
WP_20160907_11_49_26_Pro (2).jpg so after a year
decided it was time to look towards keeping the ting together .
so set upon changing the complete suspension
brakes , and genrally keeping on top of everything .
so shopping list was as follows -
2- front Bilstein b4 shock absorbers
2-front top mounts and bearings
2- lower spring covers
2-anti roll bar drop links
2 front road springs
1- set of front drilled and grooved mintex discs and pads .
1- set of front transparent braided brake hoses
DOT-5.1 brfake fluid (inc complete fluid change)
2-rear Bilstein B4 shock absorbers
2-rear top shock absorber mounts
1 set of rear drilled and grooved mintex brake discs and pads .
1-set of rear transparent braided hoses
plus complete brake fluid change
(did not change rear springs or lower mounts as they were changed last MOT)
complete gearbox fluid change ( due to N/S driveshaft popping out whilest change front N/S shock)
and as usual for me oil and filter change
this time i changed brands to Asda Vauxhall OIL
so with only say 4 hours per week end (sunday after noon ) i started it .
O/S rear first . which i completed in 3 hours
next N/S rear again 3.5 hours (had a bit of a tadoo with top mount )
The next was the N/S front . and O/S front ,
had brakes and struts out in no time
as i knew i could re build struts in my shead ( or so i thaught )
a foot note -----
top strut nut is recessed 22mm and theres a female torx in the shock so you have to counter hold one as you unscrew the other
i have seen kits on that well known auction site , but starting at £60.00 i thaught there must be a way
Found my solution , i brought a Lambda sensor removal tool (they are all 22mm and split down the side )
i brought one with an off set hole for your ratchet . then i was in business .
rebult struts with new springs (one of the old ones was somewhat original with coloured dots had you guessed it broken at the bottom
the other was of an unknown make,
WP_20170304_15_56_27_Pro.jpg so re-fitted with new brakes and pads
came to do the hoses , and the banjo end was too small , so for the time being have re-fitted old ones ( i brought the braided hoses as a set suppoidly for my car )
rears fitted fine fronts ?????????)
so mailed seller and got a bit of a shifty response )
so mailed the makers HEL Performance
with all my details of the car and turns out theres a different set that also fits the later cab ,
and they do the fronts separatly .
changed the gearbox oil (came out black )
oil filter and oil
and in the mean time got hold of some 20" vxr alloys
so for the moment its complete apart from front hoses
and booking in to have 4 wheel laser alingment done .
WP_20170315_17_57_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20170315_17_58_35_Pro.jpg WP_20170312_18_26_48_Pro.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Also painted over the bright inserts on the door cars , above the glove box and gear-lever surround ,
I used a small tin of halfords smooth metal paint ( black ) and mixed it with a bit of wickes smooth metal paint , so came out slightly coffee coloured , used a small paint brush , the effect worked for me .
I then painted the bright work on the grill , the black parts on the exterior door mirrors , fog light surrounds boot bright work , and rear defuser.
And have now fitted carbon bonnet and boot badges
Just a word of warning I looked on that well known auction site , and thaught I had ordered the right ones , well they were the right diameter, but the lugs on the boot one were different , so I got a hacksaw ,chopped them down then got some grab adhesive and glued that one on , also because it was not flat but concave,
Easy to fit as the base is separate from the badge so you mount the base then once satisfied with its position you just stick the badge on .

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
looking good:thumbsup:

got myself another TTid 09plate for basically nowt only problem is the engine suffered runaway so got myself a shiny new complete engine from Neo's with all the bits on and a new biturbo a fair bit cheaper than they were selling them for.
only downside I was taken ill and its all sitting in my garage when the time eventually comes for me getting around to it as I still feel like SH!TE:(

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next thing on my list was to change the head unit for something where I could stream music from my phone .plus DAB , and Bluetooth interface for phone . But I did not want to spend a fortune .
Spotted a seller on that well known auction site selling new Kenwood DPX 70000 auction style .
Got one for sub £100 . Then got the complete fitting kit from Dynamic sounds £75.00
Must say that the kit from Dynamic sounds looks daunting to fit , but with a bit of lateral thinking it really is easy , worst part ( and I think others say the same ) is getting the central air vent out .
Googled it , and then went to do it , I found a very small screwdriver and a light and started at top left then Center then right , then bottom right , Center , bottom left Is difficult, but once released at top you have control .
View attachment 49801
View attachment 49809
View attachment 49817
View attachment 49825
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The wiring included is simple enough for me to understand .
The fitting cage is straight forward. The only things are the 2 side bars but after a bit of guess work got it
The cage sound be the same level as the surround , once sorted you slide the surround over it all ( tight but fits ) stick on the bits of foam on the side and it's good to go . The wiring is plug and play , I found an earthing point just behind ,
Plugged it all in , fitted facia plate and re-fit air vent .
Fit head unit and test .
All super duper
The only thing is the supplied DAB stick on antenna very hit and miss reception
So I brought a non powered one from Dynamic sounds, it was worse , looks good but zero reception
image.jpg
Original one
image.jpg
So found a UK seller on you know where that dose a powered "Bee Sting " aeial
For FM , DAB , he also dose one for GPS . So I brought one . It fits in place of the shark fin , and no drilling involved , ( just remove the plastic base from the new one and seal with silicone sealant )
Run the DAB and FM wires through headlining both 5 meters long , the power lead is only a meter long
So extended it so you pick up power from head unit
All fitted and no DAB signal drop out and FM reception really good .
image.jpg
image.jpg
Head unit
And mic
image.jpg
Next was a set of team Heko deflectors
Easy to fit but don't use the supplied clips as they are way too big
Just use the supplied stick pads image.jpg
Then this week I had a mad hour and sprayed my alloys in tecknical grey ( that's what they call it )
All in all I'm pleased with the results ,
Not too dark and not too light .
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Also I have fitted a EGR restrictor kit , easy to fit ,
Also in the mean time had MOT done
Passed on,y one advisory ( slight damage to N/S/R wheel inner side )
A by-product of a great British pot holes
But on the emissions side
The opacity reading was 1.35 , where as the plate on the car is 1.2 , so because it was due before new rules come in it passed , but got to really get it sorted out before next MOT or else it will be toast .
And a Air-con re-charge
( it lost all efficiency because I turned it off the end of last year. Due to temperature gauge reading low
So I thaught the condensing fan was effecting that )
Any road up
Also changed thermostat for another new one ( Berher)
I changed it last year and within a week it was failing
But this one is still working great
Just shows you ( as Aerojon says ) pay cheap , pay twice !
Next on my list is rear deffuser ( Chinese style )
Comming on the slow boat ( 2 months )
Will update once here and fitted

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just looking into a double din installation myself so really appreciate this write up! Looking at the Eonon android range. I really would like something that is OBD2 compatible so I can get an OBD reader and link it to the Android head unit meaning all readings etc are onboard. Hoping this is possible but as with most things car related I'm pretty clueless as to what can be done! That's why I'm here :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts