Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
erm is it right that the limiter should kick in on an NA 2 litre at 6krpm? If so thats a bit [expletive deleted]! the bottom ends good for over 7500rpm piston speed wise.

Chris

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dare I ask? Manual or Auto? My auto used to limit at about 5700 before I replace the APC chip. Now it goes to about 6700 before shifting Now I am curious as well. It wants to keep on going at 6700 and I'm sure it would not grenade at around 7200. Sorry, I'm sure this is more confusing than anything but it's got to be in the mapping somewhere.
Regards,

John

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, the rev limiter has come in at around 6200rpm on every 9000 I've owned. I'd have thought that you've had the car long enough that if you needed to exceed 6000rpm you'd have discovered the limit long ago

The bottom end may well be good for higher RPM, but Saab didn't build a screamer. They built a flexible engine that would give good service for 200-300 thousand miles. The engine lasts so well because it operates well within its capabilites.

Check the handbook and you'll see that peak power is at 5500 or 5600 rpm (depending on capacity). Revving much beyond this wouldn't be useful.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the cars sat about a lot and due to the exhaust which grenaded itself yesterday (more on that in a min) I haven't really thrashed it.

I use my 180k renault for silly rpm's.

Since I am keeping it the cars in the queue for headwork and from the sound of it I may re-build the bottom end. The Saab's not done well, 145k and its knackered pretty much.

but I have paying customers for headwork and various other jobs at the moment and I have 2 engines I want to re-build myself. Like the 200bhp+ 1.8 16V F7P renault engine.

Anyway yesterday, after topping up my auto box - again (took about 1.5 litres, chuck it out, box is probably dying) I went out to enjoy the smooth changes, get to an uphill junction boot it and bang. I though the box had let go. But a quick rev propelled me forwards and also set off car alarms. the frnt silencer has burst and the weld from the downpipe to the flange has been blown away. Most amusing, to top it off I have a punctured nearside rear tyre.

Chris

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I use my 180k renault for silly rpm's.[/b]
I think the whole point is that the Saab engines can produce the peak bhp at low revs thus saving the engine from over-revving itself into destruction! why do you need high revs if low revs will do?
I'm sorry but I don't see why you need the engine to rev more as you will not get any more power

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like wide power bands.

I like to be able to pull away from idle in 3rd to over 100mph without changing gear.

I like to toddle along in near silence then when I feel like it be able to plant the throttle and go to silly revs.

When you have driven a truly high revving engine a decent one not an engine with a 2krpm power band you will understand.

I done some headwork on my renault the other day, planked the head back on yesterday, the idle had dropped to 500 rpm so I had to richen it, the power below 3k has shot tright up, at least 10bhp from idle up. I need to get on the dyno though as its running weak at the top end now.

Chris

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
A decent true high revving engine?
not talking about a renault then?

Only decent high revving engines I know are the Vtec variety... along with other form of variable valve timing, Vtec being one of the sweetest... only trouble is, I don't ant to have to wring a cars neck to get anywhere...

Hence why the saab lump is pretty good, as we get near peak torque from 1800rpm... swings round to the limit no trouble...

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
When you have driven a truly high revving engine a decent one not an engine with a 2krpm power band you will understand.  [/b]
I think you don't know me as I do understand! that's where torque comes into it,I have 353nm of torque to allow me to accelerate with ease in most gears I do not need to have a screaming engine to release the power.
I get to drive 30 plus cars a week and have never found another engine that produces so much power from low revs from a staight 4 than the Saab engines.Admittedly the BMW engines are good but to me the Saab wins,as for all the Jap cars out there that rev to 8-9000 revs Why?? If I wanted to sound like a wasp driving down the road I'd buy a scooter

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So now we are trying to abuse me and renaults?

renaults get bad prerss because pillocks don't maintain them. From what I have seen my 9000 is nigh on identical to my renault 25 except that was faster.

The renaults are safe to silly rpm's, I have had a few go over 10 grand, not blown one yet. Also 180k and so far I have replaced not much. Well had to do a bit of body work after smashing it at 80 mph due to a blow out but thats all.

Vtec's eh, ever driven one? You need to wring the nuts off them to move away.

I am not really a jap car fan, a bit [expletive deleted] I think. Only one I like is the supra even then a well sorted cossie is my preffered transport. Yep my old cossie RS500 revved to 9 grand and made over 400 bhp at the rear wheels. It also had little lag, due to high a high CR so it was driveable and made silly amounts of torque as well.

I clearly staed I don't need to wring the engine I just do because I like to. Maybe its the bike thing or maybe because I have driven a lot of very peaky motors but hey, stick to your flat caps boys.

Chris

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Clearly you need to swap your Normally Aspirated 9000 for a Turbo 9000.

And then i'd like to see where your Renault 25 stands... it's torque and where it's produced that makes a flexible , driving engine.

Perhaps one day when I'm up in the Glasgow area, we'll by chance meet on the m8 ... and when I disappear into the distance... you can catch me later on here.. to find out which way I went..

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
renaults get bad prerss because pillocks don't maintain them.  [/b]
Same with Saab's!
So now we are trying to abuse me and renaults?
 [/b]
Nope just expressing an opinion!
Yep my old cossie RS500 revved to 9 grand and made over 400 bhp at the rear wheels.[/b]
But as we all know this is a very weak engine and will not last for long when tuned to high bhp!
stick to your flat caps boys.[/b]
Hmmm...Yet again you do not know me!
I suggest if you get upset when you get answers to questions you ask you should not post these questions if you are likely to get upset

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I agree totally here, what the hell is the point of revving an engine so high, all it does is wear them out earlier. A saab engine is good for 500,000 miles if treated right, that's because of the high torque low down the revs, and cos you don't need to rev the ******** off them to get the power, especially the turbo's. Vtech engines are [expletive deleted] cos you have to get to 5k before there is any power, and I have never driven a renault that revs that high, not having a dig, but I just haven't.

·
Registered
312 Posts
One of my last Porsches was a '69 911S 2.0liter.
It was designed with rpm in mind as torque is negligible with the stock cams. Car would absolutely make no power until it climbed up on the cams around 5500 and would finally nail the power band around 6200. With a redline of 7200; it took special "airport" gears to keep it anyway near the power band! Not exactly an enjoyable driver!! I guess I did have around 4 figures in it by the time I was done but one of the first changes I made was to the cams. After installing "sprint cams" the power band was much wider and a joy to drive. !! Just some thoughts on high revs.!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts