Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Saab 93 1.9tid linear sportwagon.
As the header suggests I have limited performance on my car. Started on a long drive. Going up a hill the turbo was working fine. As I went into 5th gear it just stopped accelerating. I dropped through the gears but the car just got slower and slower. No acceleration at all. No engine light. Just the limited performance warning.
The EGR valve electrical connection was loose so I fixed that and all seemed well for a short period. Now it's back to its old tracks. Plugvis clean and seated firmly.
Can't hear any whistling etc. Unless I squeeze the big pipe coming put of the egr. If I squeeze it enough. The pipe contracts and a get a loud whistle. I can't see any obvious splits but wondered if I'd found the problem.
Any advice appreciated.
Losing my mind trying to find the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As the header suggests I have limited performance on my car. Started on a long drive. Going up a hill the turbo was working fine. As I went into 5th gear it just stopped accelerating. I dropped through the gears but the car just got slower and slower. No acceleration at all. No engine light. Just the limited performance warning.
The EGR valve electrical connection was loose so I fixed that and all seemed well for a short period. Now it's back to its old tracks. Plugvis clean and seated firmly.
Can't hear any whistling etc. Unless I squeeze the big pipe coming put of the egr. If I squeeze it enough. The pipe contracts and a get a loud whistle. I can't see any obvious splits but wondered if I'd found the problem.
Any advice appreciated.
95 TTiD XWD... had turbo limp mode....2 new glow plugs ...like a Ferrari now..starts first turn over warms up quicker cabin warms quicker smoother quieter :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
95 TTiD XWD... had turbo limp mode....2 new glow plugs ...like a Ferrari now..starts first turn over warms up quicker cabin warms quicker smoother quieter :D
Glow plugs do more than help start...they help engine run better all the time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any advice appreciated.
Hi Jonny, Sounds very similar to a problem I had, so it may be as follows. I had a split in the large tube you mention but it was not easy to see. This results in the engine running with not enough boost (you may see low boost on your boost gauge possibly) and will be putting out a lot of black smoke which gets caught in the DPF until it ends up blocked with Limited Performance. If this goes on too long the DPF will get destroyed and your oil will get diluted with diesel, which is not good. Solution? Find the air leak and fix it (replace the tube). Try to do a regen on the DPF by driving on motorway for 30 minutes or by getting mechanic to order a manual regen. Replace the engine oil if needed. In the worst case, you will need to clean out or replace the DPF but make sure all air leaks are fixed first or the same problem will happen again. When the DPF is on, you wont see the black smoke out the back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. As yet I've not had any black smoke. Just the occasional white plume on startup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a short metal pipe at the front far right of the engine block, next to the exhaust manifold. It appears to be pumping out white smoke under high revs. Can anyone tell me if this would cause my issue and what it is?(as you look at the engine from the front)

Thanks for the help.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's a short metal pipe at the front far right of the engine block, next to the exhaust manifold. It appears to be pumping out white smoke under high revs. Can anyone tell me if this would cause my issue and what it is?(as you look at the engine from the front)

Thanks for the help.
Much appreciated.
Upload a photo of the pipe may help

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. My bad. The white sickly smelling smoke is emanating from here. Or so it seems.
Would that likely be the issue?
if it is.
What is it?
Is it easy to replace?
If I can't find the part. Would wrapping it in high temperature silicone tape work?
Sorry for all the questions 😅

·
Registered
81 Posts
As you will see that flexible pipe is connected to the exhaust manifold it goes up through the EGR cooler and then on to the EGR. No ammount of high temperature silicone tape will fix it. I suggest that you replace with a new item, you may be able to source from a scrap yard. Remember the Saab 9-3 1.9tid.8v is the same engine as the Vectra C 1.9ctid 8v so many available in scrap yards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that.
Obviously I know its hard to say but if that is leaking. Would that likely cause the lack of power (limited performance) with no codes stored ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quite possibly yes. More important though the exhaust gas at best may make you feel sick, at worst you may pass out at the wheel.

It needs to be changed ASAP. It would be an MOT failure as a major fault if spotted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for your replies. Very helpful. We'll it seems my crap local mechanic told me the smoke was coming from the egr cooler pipe in the picture shown.
My wife has just looked under the bonnet after lots of gentle persuasion and offers of flowers and wine. She said the smoke was definitely coming from somewhere behind or below tje heatshield. I e already order the cooler so may as well change it as the car has hit 175000 miles, and I live saabs so rather spend a bit than more than a bit on a new car.
The smoke was mid grey colour.
No loss of coolant evident although it was leaking a few weeks ago somewhere.
My mechanic recommended radiator seal stuff which cured the leak.
Only thing I've done since the fault appeared is use a can of liquid molly egr cleaner.
I think it helped because the car no longer revs like a lumpy, lumpy thing. Smooth through all revs now. Initially it was lumpy between 2000 and 3500 revs.
Only odd thing I experience (apart from all the above) is a brief sickly sweet puff of white smoke on cold startup and sickly smell through cabin vents when blowers are on. (Never on at the moment)
I hope that's enough info to give you ideas.
If anyone in the know can advise me on whether it's a new turbo or relayed. That way I can do both jobs at once.
Thanks for ypur patience with someone who knows very little about this stuff.
Red/orange arrows point to area of smoke emanation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry. 1 final question that saves a new thread. If I had to change the turbo. Could I get a larger one or is it far more involved than that? I'm guessing the latter.

Thanks again

·
Registered
81 Posts
It may not be the turbo at fault it might if your lucky the gasket between the pipe and manifold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts