Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I get away with ugrading the fuse on a 2.3 9000 91'to use higher wattage bulbs something like 80/100 or 90/130,without having to ugrade the wiring also.
I know you do this on BM's but I dont know about Saab.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Probably better to get one of the 30% or 50% (Xenon) brighter 55/60 watt bulbs and keep the standard wiring. The high wattage bulbs use usually bigger filaments and the focus is not so accurate so the beam is more spread out rather than brighter.

I've tried both, still use the 50% brighter. Would not use the high wattage bulbs again.

IIRC the higher of the two wattages is the dipped beam. So that for a 80/100w bulb the 80 is main beam.

Also bulbs above 55/60 are illegal, at least in cars registered after a certain date.

Have a look at the Powerbulbs site to see what's available and legal.

Also Elkparts may have them as well.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have run overwattage bulbs for years(off road only)and had no probs...
but recently I have been going through 100w H1's every two weeks ..I have put this down to poor quality from halfords and the last ones I have bought were a pair of philips vision claiming 50 % more light
I am pretty pleased with these and seem to give as much light as the 100/130 w ones (and are legal )
they have already lasted longer than the [expletive deleted] halfords ones ...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guy's,I was looking at some kind of bulb called PIA,Iv'e seem in the "go faster" shops such as Halfords YUK!!.
Mind you at least the guy didn't hit me alot of the usual bull,he simply said "they are really for posing,the do give out a better light,but the dam near £30 per bulb we charge it isn't justified",they probably buy them in for about £1.50 each and by the time they "reach us" well!!,so there you go.

Sgould-I tried the Xenon bulbs and didn't think much of them at all,

Ylee Coyote-I'll try these Philips bulbs see they are,I suppose the only real way to get bright lights is to fit the whole Xenon headlight costing about £7-900ish a pair,but that's nearly twice what the bloody car's worth!!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Jon,

The Xenon bulbs have improved a lot recently. I'm using the Philips Vision bulbs at +50%. Much better than the old Halfords +30% ones of cheap manufacture.

But browse the Powerbulbs site they stock bulbs from Philips, Osram and Ring. Ring are the cheapest and are the type that Halfords used to stock before they used their 'own brand'.

I think, in the end you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sgould,

Personaly I would rather pay money for for something "built to last".
I know nowadays you get (well your suppose to) what you pay for,so I'll probably opt for the expensive one's,but that's just me.
I know what you say about Halfords "own brand",personaly I dont trust their "own" stuff,cause basically they get it made very cheap and sell it for a bloody fortune,making you thinking your buying quality.
I like to buy a "trusted" name's,(except Halfords)but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sgould

Ahh who care's about street legal bulbs,just blind the b******s,(lol).
Seriously though I know what your saying,I will have a look in Halfords to see whether they have any "brand" name's like Philips ect if not I'll try somewhere else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.