Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met with an as yet un -Saabscened Aero owner at the weekend in Oban who asked me if I had ever had problems with the headlights on my 9000 LPT.

His bright yellow, VERY tidy Aero just cuts out when he switches on his headlights. Any ideas ? I think his machine is '98 - ish. I say - ish since it is on a private R plate that sort of reads AERO.

Paul @ Kippen

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Do any fuses blow? Have you put an ammeter in the line to see what current is being drawn by the lights?

Could it be that the lights are pulling a high current and for some reason the voltage drops far enough for the ECU to give up? I know on the older models switching onto high beam would cause the engine to stumble for a second which is what got me thinking.

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It could be the cable from the battery to the distribution block on the side has become loose/corroded. I had a similar problem on my 9000, except it occasionally happened when I turned the indicators on.

Put a voltmeter between the battery terminal and the distribution block and try switching on lights etc and look for a voltage drop of more than about 0.1V.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wonder if there is any connection with this question and my intermittant problem with my 1996 LPT auto.

At night if I stop in my driveway with the headlights on and my foot on the brake and then turn the ignition off and remove the key. The engine keeps running and the lights stay on until I either switch the headlights off or release the brake pedal.

After I have turned the lights off and stopped the engine the parking lights and dash lights come on when I press the brake pedal.

I have asked about the lights staying on while my foot is on the brake before but there was little response. The car is in very good condition and I would be surprised if there are any chaffed wires the car has had an easy life.

The problem can be there one day and gone the next.

Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I thought the engine carrying on when the ignition was turned off was common?
I believe that it is caused by badly fitted brake bulbs which allow the 12v current to return via the other filament and keep the ignition relay open. May also be odd wiring at the rear lights.

Not happened to me (yet), but it's been on the board a couple of times recently.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a similar sort of problem - I put the wrong spec brake light bulbs in an every time I put on the brakes my headlights flashed.
Check that you have the correct spec bulbs in it ( have you replaced any recently ?? ).

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
You should be able to check if the bulbs are wrong by taking them (both)out. This will break the circuit that keeps the engine running.

The problem is that the brake lights are not powered through the ignition switch, so pressing the brake pedal at any time will allow 12v to the rear light cluster. If current can "jump" to another circuit there it can give you voltages where you, and the car, are not expecting them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
engine cutting out when lights turned on{problem fixed its self for the time being } left lights turned on. turned on igniton had no dash power left it like that {ex with ignition on}and after a few minutes.hey presto power came back to dash have not had a problem from a few day now

·
Registered
155 Posts
In the 18 months I have had my 1996 CS auto I have replaced a tail light globe 3 or 4 times. Each time I replace them I replace both following advice from this board. I have replaced them because the pictogram shows a problem but usually they are not blown just a little black.

Yesterday I thought I would replace the stop/tail light globes again. Just to see if this had anything to do with the problem I mentioned above with the engine staying on after the key is turned off.

Neither globe was blown but there was some black on the glass. There was also some black around the other tail lights globes so I replaced the lot.

I currently do not have any of my earlier problems.

Following advice on this thread I rang my local SAAB dealer and enquired about globes. I was advised they have stopped stocking genuine SAAB globes for 2 reasons. They are NARVA brand from SAAB and the same brand and wattages can be bought locally for 1/5 the price.

cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi all. sorry to drag up an oldun but i've just bought this car and i've just realised that the guy i bought this off has nearly the same username. so, same user names (ish) same area but different guy.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
r4ero,

Welcome to SaabScene. Nice to see that R 4ERO has passed on the good news about the site on sale of the Yellow Peril and that she's still going strong. Certainly don't miss it on the way past !

Send me a PM if you are passing Kippen and fancy a chat. I guess no news is good news on the head lights / cutting out front. I think the assembled wisdom would go for shorts in the rear light cluster or problems with the BIG RED headlamp relay in the supplementary fusebox under the bonnet.

Paul @ Kippen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
r4ero,

Welcome to SaabScene. Nice to see that R 4ERO has passed on the good news about the site on sale of the Yellow Peril and that she's still going strong. Certainly don't miss it on the way past !

Send me a PM if you are passing Kippen and fancy a chat. I guess no news is good news on the head lights / cutting out front. I think the assembled wisdom would go for shorts in the rear light cluster or problems with the BIG RED headlamp relay in the supplementary fusebox under the bonnet.

Paul @ Kippen.[/b]

cheers paul. light problem appears to be sorted but thats the least of my worries! this "clean" saab you mentioned isn't quite as clean as it used to be. its been off the road for over a year. its so faded its nearly white in places, there was mould inside like i've never seen before, the exhaust is hanging off (broken on the engine side of the flexi and several other places towards the back) and it has a broken spring on the rear. on the + side though, the engines sweet and the body is very straight. might be down your way soon if i decide to get mmv in stirling to do a custom exhaust but may go for an abbott racing one? got a powerflow one made for my old porsche 944. superb job and sounded awesome but it did start to rust even though its stainless. cost £330, a fair bit cheaper than an abbott item. i'll let ya know if i'm heading down.
cheers, davey.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
The reason the exhaust is cheaper than the Abbott one is that it was probably made of a lesser grade Stainless Steel. I was going to offer to have a look at it as I will be in Oban next Saturday afternoon. The engine cuting out with the lights on could be worn brushes or a faulty rectifier on the alternator causing the voltage to drop below the operating threshold of the ECU - as has been mentioned before.

Could possibly be a fault in the ignition switch?

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TB,

The engine cutting out is a thing of the long past. If you look at the ogiginal post it's dated 1 Oct '03 !

Looks like this Yellow Peril has just been rescued in time.

r 4ero,

I have a 2.5" SS exhaust made and fitted by MMR. They have done a pretty good job though it's in 304 rather than 316 stainless so is showing a little surface rust. Not bad for 18 months. They have a great selection of tailpipes and aver that there is no one in Scotland with a 3" pipe bender so 2.5 is the biggest you can get.

When I was considering the job I contacted a place in Hillington Industrial Estate that the Scooby Guys seem to use but decided against it on the logistics basis. I didn't want to hang about in an Industrial Estate for 3 - 4 hours or shell out for taxis to get somewhere more interesting, especially since Mrs P @ K was suggesting that the nearest place of interest ( to her ) was IKEA !

Paul @ Kippen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts