Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 9000cs lights have a mind of their own. The headlights switch themselves on even with the switch in the off position and the key out of the ignition, like something from ET. Resulting im very dead battery. I have tried changing the light switch and this didnt solve it. Could it be wiring problem, faulty relay, ignition problem etc. I know its strange. Anybody have this problem on a 9000.

Mick

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Mick,
Is this a permanent thing, or just occasional?
To me, it sounds like the relay, I think if it the switch was faulty, then they wouldstill go off with the key, and if it was wiring, it would be intermittent, followed by smoke coming out of your dashboard.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
sounds like a relay problem,i had exactly the same.
Next time it happens,simply remove the headlight relay, lights should go off,then push relay back in and hopefully the lights will remain off.
I carry two repaired,spares in the boot of mine !!
Usually a dry joint on the soldering.Relatively easy diy repair if you are dextrous with a soldering iron.
Above advice came from saab main dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
The problem is intermittant, and can happen any time, even with the keys out of the ignition. I will try the relay cure and check for dry joint etc, or pick one up from a factor/breaker etc. If that doesn't ?, work I report back on progress,
Thanks again for the help.
Mick

·
Registered
300 Posts
hello,

this may not be anywhere close to your issues, but...

can you tell if it's the high or low beam coming on? i'd suspect hi beam as you can turn that on without the keys (just hit the lever and check).

I purchase a used 9000CDT and it did weird things. Running with the key out when the headlight switch was on. turn off the headlight switch and the engine stopped. several other symptoms too convoluted to explain. Anyway, it turned out that the previous owner had put single filament bulbs in dual sockets and dual in single, I'm not sure he could see... All in the tail light fixtures. Replaced all with new and correct types and all was happy.

And, if that's not your issue perhaps you could pull the high beam fuse or relay to keep from running your battery down?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is with the dims, not the heads. The lights go off when I take out the relay and go back on when I put it back, have not had a chance to get a change of relay yet. Tried taking it apart but could not see any obvious problem.

Mick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.