Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought myself an immaculate 97 aero. FSH, 2 owners 150k. Lovely motor. Then the head gasket went. So spent lots of money and:

new gasket
head skimmed and valves cleaned etc
heatplate off
new water pump
new drivebelt tensioner
3" downpipe
new bottom engine mounts
poly top engine mounts
Atmospheric dump

Took 2 weeks after work on an evening to do this!

Goes well, but not half as brutal as Carlsson!

Then, the end of the intermediate driveshaft split and it lost drive! Luckily MarkIreland had a spare! Cheers (Again!) Then the bracket that holds the drivebelt tensioner to the engine block cracked - spent a day in a scrap yard in Edinburgh getting a new one off! Nightmare!At the same time the bracket snapped some little **** chucked stones off a bridge cracking windscreen - needs new window! Co-incidence? Possibly connected?

All in all a very nice introduction to the pleasures of the Aero!

Apart from downpipe and atmospheric car is standard, but not driven an aero before not sure of performance. It seems far slower than Carlsson - a had a recent tussle with a 330i bmw, aero was slightly quicker but not massively. (from 30mph to 70+!)I thought they should be far quicker than 330?

In quandary, do i keep aero and sell carlsson, or other way round?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Paul

Im in a bit of a similar situation as you at the moment.

I have just bought a 1994 Aero and it is about to cost me a fortune: Timing chain replacement, Exhaust manifold, engine mounts, oil leak, reaplcement belt, MOT, service etc etc.

I also own a 1991 (MY92) CS 2.3Turbo. This car has only 130000 and is a very smooth drive and goes really well. I have had the car for about 14 months now and over that time I have got it to a standard that I am happy with (without spending a lot more money)
Due to the nature of second hand Saab sales at the mo if I sold the CS the funds gained would barely cover the cost of the Aero repairs!

If I was in your boat I may well choose the Carlsson over the aero, but for me it is either a CS 2.3T or an Aero. So i guess the best thing for me is to stick with the Aero.

Good luck in your decision.

When I get the Aero back from the garage I may well be very pleased with it as I havnt drivien it 'properly' yet due to fear of timing chain letting go. But just driving it home after purchasing I wasnt that impressed. Maybe my CS is a quick one?!

PS Ive still got that sinking feeling that when the CS goes I would have made a booboo!

pps if i keep the aero. What are your views on your VTA dump valve? I was tempted myself for a bit of fun. Which one did you get? How noisy is it and does it get annoying?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just feel that the time, effort and money I spent on the aero will leave me out of pocket....

The forge adv is very nice!Its shiny!What more do you want!?
Seriously though I need to put the original on and compare performance etc. The noise is ok - it is noticeable but not annoying. I live in a very rural area and so don't really annoy people with it. Although I did follow a new conv. ferrari and he really clocked me in his mirror when he heard it - not sure a ferrari driver will often wonder about other peoples cars!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Standard 2.3 Carlsson's ARE quicker than standard Aero's because of their shorter gearing. My 2.3T has Carlsson software and I'd say it's nearly as quick as a Maptun Stage 1 Aero.

Sorry to hear about your problems though. I'd assess both cars and decide which is going to be the deeper money pit. The Aero, being newer, may need some immediate work doing but once thats out the way might you get several years reliable motoring out of it? The Carly might be running OK now, but being older, bits will rust and break over the next couple of years. At least, thats what I'm finding with my 1992 car at the moment.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Hard decision.

Aero will still decpricate more, whereas the Carly has probably got near the bottom of the depreciation ladder, and being the rare CS 2.3, if well looked after, may hold on to it's price as a future classic more so than the more available Aero..???

If we are talking about keeping as an everyday form of transport, then the vote has to go to the Aero as a newer car, with more toys and the more relaxed gearing.

If we are talking keeping one as a pure weekend/2nd car plaything, then I'd vote for the Carly as the keeper.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its hopefully going to be a weekend/fun car....once I find a cheap to run, nice little car for commuting (pug 306 Dturbo?)
The advantage of the Aero:

Very tuneable
refined
seats

Carlsson
It goes like a scalded cat. Chased by 1000 dogs

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Know what you mean
I was underwhelmed with my aero when I first got it
drive it like its stolen tho...
My sons 2.3 carly is one mean mother but it is so aggressive it spins its wheels all the time ..really needs an lsd
but with a di/apc thats as far as it will go without doing tricky things

the handling in extremis the aero is better hands down.. the cc body is a little flexy and is a bit "imprecise"

Aero is the way to go imho

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually think the aero handles a LOT better even tho' they are both CS bodied. Because the Carly is one of the first CS style cars, it has a lot of components that are actually CC ones. Getting parts is a nightmare! Never sure to order Cs or old style bits!

Wheel spin in 3rd not a problem in the Carly, whereas wheel spin in 2nd in the Aeor is very difficult...

The Aero is almost like driving a non turbo car - Rev it high and hard and it flies - opposite to the Carly which runs out of puff at 4k. But by then you have accelerated so hard your neck hurts!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
IMVHO a "sorted" CD handles better than either the CC or CS because of the stiffer shell. Unfortunately there aren't many trionic CD/CDE 2.3T's with manual boxes around.

Of course, the Aero can make bigger power with fewer mods due to it's bigger turbo ... and of course it's prettier than the CD, which from the rear looks like it got a right thrashing with an ugly stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.