Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried replacing the indicator or brake light bulbs with LED ones (available form motorist shops?)
Will fitting an LED instead on a normal one light up my failed-light-bulb-warning lights on the dashboard like a christmas tree - or will it make no difference to a normal bulb??

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Nico,

Yes, MarkE and Ylee for their highlevel brake light
Yes, unless you buffer the led with the correctly rated and wattage resistor.

Do a search of the 9000 and performance forums on brake and led.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
They tend to have a fairly narrow viewing angle which may restrict their visibility in light units that are not designed for them. I'm thinking about indicators that you won't be able to see from an angle, never mind the side.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Field:
[qb]I read somewhere that LED replacement bulbs are illegal. If I find the details I will post them on here. [/qb][/b]
I notice that buses in London now have LED tail lamps, brake lamps and indicators. Of course, these are not replacement but original fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

be wary of the cheap LED bulbs, I bought some (with 12 led's on them) they are no where near bright enough, unless you have clear 'lexus' type lights.

However, I then got some 25 led lights, they are powerful and make a difference - definately the ones to go for.

I spoke to a few people about the legalities, what is definately illegal is the rotating LED lights, where the led's flash in sequence creating a circle effect.

The light laws are odd indeed, it's o.k to blind everyone else on the road with xenon & halo lights, but not o.k to have certain LED's. It's pretty stupid.

I got a good price on the bulbs, you are welcome to pm me and I can reccommend a cheap place to buy.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quite a number of commercial vehicles are now using LED lights, but they do have certain problems. As correctly noted the bulb failure warning may illuminate due to insufficient current draw by the LED, and also the indicator internal repeater lamp may not illuminate. This can be bodged by fitting a parallel resistor which fools the warning lights, but if the LED fails, the resistor which the warning lights are sensing is still there and the warning light does not indicate the failure.
Most commercial vehicle manufacturers have had some kind of grief with this, our company fitted hundreds of LED rear clusters, only to have to replace the indicators with bulb units, as it was pointed out to be illegal due to the resistor 'fooling' the warning light.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Viney:
[qb]Hi,

be wary of the cheap LED bulbs, I bought some (with 12 led's on them) they are no where near bright enough, unless you have clear 'lexus' type lights.
[/qb][/b]
Errmm... as the LEDs are red, and the covers (colour filters) also red, they will make little difference to the light output .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mark,

The red 12 LED lights just dont output enough light to penetrate the red colour filters on normal light clusters. It reduces the effectiveness of the LED bulbs.

Therefore, to achieve an effective light output, the red 25 LED lights are needed.

You'd think that you could get a white light LED to work better behind the red colour filter (like your normal white bulb) - but no, this causes a blue light!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts