Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been discussed here in a variety of contaexts but this now bothers me: leather or velour. The reason for the question is I own a 9K with standard grey velour seats. After 333000 km's the seats look okay if not great. But recently I have been offered a leather set. In grey leather. Which kinda look cool too. Now, we are expecting a baby and friends tell me leather is easier to clean, which of course is just an excuse to do some springtime modification. But on a more serious note, which seat covering would you people prefer and why? thanks

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Leather is cold on cold days and hot on hot days. It is easier to clean and it's non-porous (at least for a while). And you can slide about a bit to get comfortable after you've sat down (try doing that in corduroy trousers on velour!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Go for the leather interior. Looks so much better than the velour. I put leather in my old 1992 CS and it really did transform it.
Its also much easier to clean and doesnt wear as much as the velour.

For the time (60mins) and money (£100) invested in installing a full leather interior it gave a great result.

I even managed to sell my old velour interior too!

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely go for leather, and if the surface is not too worn and you condition it properly (Gliptone Leather Conditioner) then it shouldn't be too slippery either
Even I fitted a set to my Saabie earlier this year, and it was no problem at all
BTW, the set is different from a CS to a CD (rear seat set-up).
I smile every time I see my charcoal grey lovelies waiting eagerly for me...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'd go for leather. Surely the cold in winter isn't an issue, we have seat heaters!

One word of warning though regarding kids. We hadn't noticed that one of our little darlings had spilt some juice onto the leather which had then run along the seat frame of the child seat and then glued the seat to the leather.

One of my wifes friends pulled the car seat out and promptly took the top painted layer of leather along with it. I did get a repair kit of paint and conditioner but although it's not bad, I still know it's there.

I just figure that's one of the things about driving around in an older car, marks are inevitable and at least it's not a brand new car getting ruined.

David.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody. I will go and give the particular leather seat set a closer look and if things look promising I will get the job done. Myself I also think the leather is an entirely different kind of texture and a new scent to the cabin too. Will let you know about the progress

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Leather is cold on cold days  [/b]
... bearing in mind it gets pretty darned cold in that there Poland of yours, come winter, even allowing for Global warming!

I spare my sprogs (children!) the discomfort of cold rear seats in winter by applying a blanket over them. This solves any juice sticking car seat problem, and also any shoe buckle scuffing. Although, they are now suitable old enough for me to remove the blanket come spring!

Apart from that, you will probably miss leather seats badly if like myself, you have become acustomed to sitting on leather.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
For leather you must have working seat heaters and air conditioning. My last VW had leather seats and I put in the heaters which made winter mornings OK, but going home on summer evenings after the car had been parked in the sun was horrible. I was just a pool of sweat after a couple of minutes. I suspect that Polish summers are hotter and longer than English ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aha, my experience is now way bettered by what you people have shared with me here. Did you know that it's socttish made this Saab leather on the seats? Does it make it any better?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can't beat the leather. Replaced the standard leather of mine with an Aero interior and it's by far the most comfortable car I've been in. Never has to much of a heat/cold problem with them, they always seem to add a touch of class to any Saab. Could always choose the 1/2 way option and fit an Anni/Carlsson interior for the leather and suede effect.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You actually do not get so much choice over here withe regards to what exactly kind of leather seats you wanto to go for in your 9K. So far there is this one set available in dark grey colour which suits my talladega red 9K. The set is not brand spanking new though the wear I assume just adds this bit of class to the not so new vehicle. The guy who runs the other car also has an armrest there but does not want to let it go

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.