Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 97 9000 CSE LPT Anniversary about 6 months back. Since then I have not done anything in the way of caring for the leather seats. I think I should get round to doing it now. The leather looks lovely as it is. I am worried that with it being so hot and my car being parked outside all day when I am at work, the leather may get spoilt. Would be grateful to get tips on what I should do now and ongoing so that the leather stays good (btw, the leather is sand beige... if any particular needs out of it being light coloured).

I just love to be in those seats when I

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have an aero with black leather and my opinion of leather care is as follows:

1) Halfords cleaner/moisturiser - rubbish. Thankfully I tried it on a small area - the cleaner dried the leather very harshly.

2) Autoglym leather treatment - ok didnt seem to last that long - but good enough.

3) Gliptone - very impressed. Basically, you get a cleaner which takes out all the dirt (and there is dirt even if it looks clean) - use an old toothbrush carefully on any creased areas to lift it out.
If you have marks of discolouring, you can order a colour dye which works very well. And to finish it off they have a really good waxy type moisturiser which smells of leather(!).
I'd say if the seats are in clean/mint condition, you could just buy the finisher/moisturiser (cant remember what they call it) and rub it in when the leather is cool. I reckon this will prevent any drying out in the heat.
Gliptone are at 0161 832 4153 and I paid £24 for the full 3 bottle kit including the matched dye.

I think Saab use a variant of this same product at the main dealers - so must be ok.

PS - I dont work for Gliptone!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Saab sell a couple of products, a leather cleaner, and a leather treatment, which both seem to work OK. Alternatively VW sell (or did when I last looked) a really nicer creamy leather treatment, which is also great for jackets, gloves etc. There are many proprietary products in the magazines.

First, vacuum all the dust etc out of the seams. Then you need to clean the leather to get off any dirt and anything that might prevent the leather treatment soaking in. You can get fairly rough with the leather (after all, the cow did when it was using it) and use an old scouring pad or even fine wire wool if you need to. Wipe down with a clean damp cloth.

Next, when you are not going to use the car for several hours, apply the leather treatment all over the seat (check which parts are not leather!) and allow it to soak in. Look at it after an hour or so, and apply more to the areas where it has all soaked in. Repeat this until you are left with a thin covering of the treatment, which you should then polish off with a soft cloth, leaving the leather soft and supple, and in no danger of drying out and cracking. Repeat fairly frequently in hot weather.

Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the detailed replies guys! Appreciate it very much.

Started on a new round of caring for my beloved Saaby yesterday. Gave it a good shampoo and waxed half of it's body . Rest to be done tonight. Also cleaned up the alloy wheels and it is just shining like new... Boy I love it that way

Planning to order the gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner from elkparts straightaway. So hopefully in a few days the leather should get some good nutrition.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the Meguire's products. I've just found a local stockist and they do a leather cleaner, a leather conditioner and a cleaner/conditioner in one. Meguire's stuff has tremendous reputation and has only recently become available in the UK.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I haven't used that stuff - but I would advise not getting a cleaner/conditioner 'in one' - not sure how you can lift dirt and lay down new oils effectively at the same time.
I'll be interested to hear about the general Meguire treatment though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For what it's worth, the Handbook with my recently acquired 96 CDE 2.0 Auto suggests that leather is cleaned every six months as follows;

Moisten a soft cloth in a mild soap solution. Carefully apply this damp (not wet) cloth to the leather with light,circular movements until the leather is clean. Repeat this procedure using clean water. Let the leather dry completely. Then apply Saab Leather Cleaner, [from your authorised dealer etc]

Apply the leather conditioner with the same circular movements as described above. Use a soft cloth. Let the leather conditioner dry and polish with a soft, dry cloth.

[Then there is a list of 'dont's'] Do not use hot water, unknown abrasive polishes,solvents sprays or soaps that may scratch the leather.

So now you know. My leather is a very light colour 'vanilla ice cream'?, so I am going to have to clean it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have been using saddle soap for the last 10 years
(on the origonal tin still !!)
and I have found it totally satisfactory ,a bit of work to work it in but it does look good when it is finished ..a kind of matt but shiney and nice and supple

good job !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.