Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 SAAB 9000CS was diagnosed with a leak at the flanger for the turbo and cat converter. They told me I could live with it until it got really loud. Does anyone think there's any issue with leaking air getting into the car (poisoning my pregnant wife or I)? Should I have any concerns about this?

Thanks very much!!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What's a flanger? The only one I know of is an electronic device used my electric guitarists and the like to do weird things to the sound! I presume the leak is at one of the joints which the front pipe makes either at the cat end or the turbo end.
Apart from the risk of exhaust fumes entering the car I'd be a bit concerned about hot gases over a prolonged period eroding the joint faces to either the cat or the turbo, wherever the leak is, and these things are expensive to replace. Fixing an exhaust leak should be a fairly quick and easy job and I would get it fixed as son as possible. On the other hand it might be the pipe which is leaking. This has a flexible section in it and is quite expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts