Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

One of my headlight wipers does not always return to rest flat down. It can point any old way which, frankly makes the mad as it spoils the look of the car!!. When I trigger the wipers and dash round the front to look, the other wiper is doing it's job while this one seems to sit and think about it and then gently starts on its lethargic way.

I can't work out how to get near the shaft and bearing in order to squirt on/in some WD40. Hey! it worked on my old Astra tailgate wiper.

Does anyone know how to quickly get to where I can squirt WD40, Or is the fix more complicated than this?

Regards

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hi Ricky

How often does this occur? I use the windscreen/headlamp wipers a lot. It happens occasionally but it normally returns to the correct position. Is your's out of shape *every* time or just some of the time?

/john

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Ricky

This is, I think, quite a common problem with Saab headlamp wipers. You see quite a few 9000s driving around with at least one 'lazy' wiper.

I think your problem lies in the park circuit, and if you're licky you should be able to cure it pretty easily by taking everything to bits and cleaning all the contacts.

HTH

James

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. It happens often, since the wiper seems to be in a different position each time I remember to look at it.

My guess is that the suggestion about the park circuit is the one to follow up. I will get busy with the manuals and have a go!.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I haven't had any problem with my various 9000s but did have an a previous 900. The parking circuit contacts may indeed be dirty in which case the wiper arm will stop wherever it is when the power turns off. But you also mention the motor appearing to be sluggish. The 900 one also had this problem and after I took it to bits I found that the motor spindle ws partially seized in the plastic housing. God knows why. I managed to pull the armature and spindle from the housing and "ream" the hole out slightly with a drill turned by hand. It worked fine ever after.
If you decide to take the motor to bits, you can get into it by prising apart the plastic clips which hold the two halfs together. Be careful though, they break off easily. Also be careful with the parking circuit contacts they are easily bent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks Derek,

The wiper is very sluggish compared to the one that parks normally. It looks like I shall need to take it to bits whether it is the park contacts or the motor spindle. I have put this task off to the week-end. Meanwhile I shall try to get a few drops of oil onto the spindle as it enters the housing. You can just about get a small eye-dropper type oil can down into there and work its position by touch.

Many thanks to you all for the very helpfull responses

Regards

Ricky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Headlamp wiper motors are amazingtly unreliable I've found. They were the first things I had to fix on my '97 38000 mile 900CS. Er but I took the lazy way out after I took them out and took them apart, cleaned everything but still they under performed; www.eurocarparts.com Thety sold me the correct Bosch motors and fitting brackets for an eye-watering £89 +VAT each. But at least they fitted and worked straight away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fixed the problem. Those nice people at Malbrad (Huddersfield) eased off the headlight assembly mounting bolts for me during a recent service and I took the wiper assembly off easily.

The fault was with the thin blade that forms the spring contact switch that passes current to the motor after the momentary on phase has finished. If did not make contact, ever!!

I tried bending carefully, with no luck. The problem was fixed by placing a small piece of thin walled rubber tube between the back of the contact blade and the wall of the housing. This made a gentle spring effect as the sides of the tube were pushed together towards the center. The tube was locked in place under another contact lead that passes behind the switch blade. I cut a small slot across the end of the tube and the back lead nestled into this slot and held everything firmly in place.

The wiper has worked fine ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.