Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9000CSE. Cooling fan doesn't kick in until the temp is top side of half way, even if AC is turned on. Consequently, the AC ain't working too good. Where is the sensor switch for the rad fan and is it likely to be the problem? Any other ideas to sort it out most welcome.The rad fan does work but after kicking in shuts off within a minute or so.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi
I had the indentical problem with my 93 9000CD about 6 months ago. The thermostat controlling the radiator fan is screwed into a brass socket at the rear end of the radiator, halfway down on the left if you're facing the engine bay (ie the rear right of the radiator). It should not be too tight, has a washer, and will allow coolant to leak when removed. So..... make sure you have the new one to install, unless you want to replace coolant unnecessarily. (Time for coolant change?)

The device has a square electric plug for the 3 wires, which dangle "out of reach" above the plastic flashing that seals the lower engine compartment. After many years you'll find the plug seized: I dismantled the entire plug, then extracted the spade contacts one-by-one.

If the thermostat fails before you get to the job, watch out for overheating, which occurs rapidly even with a short idle at standstill. You may be able to hold the temp by running the cabin heater on full and the fan on 3, and minimising engine load.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pva; Tried that now but no improvement. Fan still doesn't kick in early enough and doesn't keep running long enough. Replaced thermostat in radiator (dealer part). Is this a simple thermostatic switch or am I overlooking a relay or something somewhere?
Any other ideas anybody?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,

The Thermostatic Switch in the Radiator is Designed to come on just short of the Temperature gauge entering the red zone & does not run for long, i.e just until the temp. gauge gets to just above half way.

Are you sure that the AC in not working poorly as a result of low refrigerant? or some other fault.

The fan circuit does have a relay, this is located behind the fuse box & accessed after removing the glove box.

The fan is a two speed fan (2 Stage) & I believe that the resister can sometimes go faulty.

Regards Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
My gauge shows just above half way whilst driving & jumps up to just below the red when in slow traffic etc. which appears to be the way it is described in the owners manual. In any event I guess you will get a little variation beteen gauges & in fact between cars!

Regards Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts