Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

the locking mechanism in one of the rear doors of my '94 9k has become very slow to lock and unlock. I'm assuming it's the motor in that door that's the problem. Has anyone out there any experience of fixing these motors, or am I looking at getting a replacement? Or could it be something else entirely?

cheers,

Ben.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Ben,
Are you sure it's not just getting stiff due to lack of lubrication. I had one like that on my 1st 9000 ( '92 195k breaking for spares ) and I found that a few manual operations was enough to loosen it up and get it working properly again. I also noticed that it sometimes got completely stuck in very cold weather. I assumed that it was condensation in the mechanism freezing. I once had to drive to work with a bungee chord holding one of the rear doors closed 'cause the latch wouldn't catch at all. Once the car warmed up all was OK.
Paul @ Kippen.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hello Ben.

Yes, I agree fully with Paul - suggest you take the door trim off and grease every joint, including where the black plastic manual locking button goes through the trim.

I've also found recently that if this button is too high, it can cause "stiction" - when you've got the trim off, just screw it down a few turns.

Taking the trim off a rear door is easy enough, and it gives you the chance to Waxoyl the bottom of the door inside - never a bad thing.

Whilst you've got the trim off, I suggest you unplug and clean every electrical connector you can find, too. They're well sealed but they do oxidise in time. Good luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Paul & Dave,

Providing it's not raining when I get home this evening..... oh, off to the pub then.

No, I am assured by the Met office that it will be dry, so, when I get home I shall take the door trim off and, armed with my grease, have a look as you suggest.

Paul, is the driver's door mirror from the car you're breaking available?

cheers,

Ben.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Ben,
Yes it is, 'though it has a bit of a chequered history. It had a smack and needed a replacement mirror. I fitted one from Halfords. It glues directly on top of the original and the heater still seemed to work reasonably. The adjust mechanism doesn't do the full range of movement since it needed attention with araldite to put the jigsaw back together again. It does minor adjusts but if you need to do any thing large like pointing it down towards the kerb, say while caravan reversing then a bit on manual assistance is required. Might be you could make one of two ?
[email protected] Yours for a fiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.