Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they legal ? (did the law change recently to not legal)
Do they work (i had one years ago that went off every time you went past supermarket doors.)
Do they really give you advance warning of speed cameras.
Can anyone recommend a good one(that is not the most expensive)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Oh dear ,Unless I am much mistaken you are about to be taken to task for even considering exceeding any speed limit , in error or otherwise.
Having recently been Gatso'd at 4.45am on a Monday morning in Grantham , the first speeding offence since 1954,I too would like to know the answers to your question.I wish you luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
EVO magazine recommended the Bel Target Euro 330 and 550 series in the May issue which can detect Radar and laser guns up to 3 miles and gatsos up to 400m (for the 550).... They are legal.... for the moment!

Although, there is a new totally legal system called Geodesy that is GPS based and has records of the location of all fixed sites and as you approach them it notifies you of their presence... it doesnt actually detect them. You can download details of new sites and even some temporary ones.

I despair of the day that we have to fit GPS speed restrictors to all our cars!!

For my tuppen'th worth, While speeding around residential areas, schools, hospitals etc is a no-no, i have deep contempt for the current blitz on speeders. I have recently had a virgin licence blotted by a Northampton County Council muppet with a Radar Gun on a modern, wide, flat, straight, dry carriageway, albeit single laned, with no oncoming cars for miles doing 72mph while performing an overtaking manouevre on an Old Bufty in a Kia Pride crawling along with his inside wheels in the verge.

Perhaps i should have taken my time on the wrong side of the road... Or just sat behind him for miles. I certainly felt safer in front of him!

Ironically Northants CC were critcised later that week for being pirates after their total revenue from speeding tickets went up 100 fold last year.... thats how i interpreted it anyway!!!

Speed traps are merely income generators.....?? Surely not!!

Boy that felt cathartic!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I am glad to admit I was wrong about JFP getting a ear bending.I have no time for GATSO or mobile Hair Dryers,if speeding is the heanous crime the suits would have us beleave , OK put more coppers on the road , then perhaps the scroats that steal cars and ignore every rule of the road, may , just may be detered,also whilst searching the country for someone exceeding a limit by a couple of MPH,do you think they could do something about the hundreds of taxi's,including Black cabs that see no reason to display a full set of either front or rear lights?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ahh.. interesting subject (as usual on this site!)

Speed detectors NEVER actually were illegal. But the Plod and the law being an ass (as they say), used to confiscate detecors and occassionally fine people for not having a license to operate one under the Radio Licensing Act of the UK!

Then, about a year ago, some 'informed' fellow took his case to court and to cut a long story short won, on the basis that 'Receive Only' radio devices do NOT require a license (and never did)!

So all the confiscations and prosecutions relating to laser/radar detectors were unlawful acts by the police and courts!!! (Suprise!) NB: I work with radio regulations.

So be forearmed incase a cop stops you and asks!

The problem with detectors is that if they pick up a LASER signal from a detector vehicle, you have zero (0) seconds to get your speed down!!

Because Police Laser detectors give instantaneous readings of speading cars!

They are good for fixed cameras though and give plenty of warning normally showing how far away the unit is on a graduated numbered scale.

Also, the roadside 'hairdryer' type police detector has to log your terminal speed after three seconds of monitoring - and you can loose alot of speed in 3 seconds.

I bought a Laser/Radar Detector in the USA for £30 on special offer and it works excellent in the UK, except that in recent months police have started using 'wider' frequency bands, so remeber, if you buy a cheaper, end of line model, it may not cover ALL the bands that the police actually use.

Most detectors actually indicate the type of speed trap that you are approaching (i.e. "L" = Laser, etc), and have a city and highway mode. The city mode helps cut out junk signals from other devices such as the traffic detecting radar on top of most Pelican Crossings.

And as far as speeding goes: In towns drive
keep speed down, and especially anywhere where young children might be. On motorways, with limits designed for Ford Anglias, the drivers of the safest cars on the roads (Saab) are entitled to use their descretion one thinks!

And as far as this revenue raising escapade by the police go, whereby the book you for doing 78 to 80mph on the motorways these days, what a joke! (Yes I got caught with a laser device hiden in an unmarked transit van, over a motorway bridge, around a bend and obscurely located, on one of the emptiest motorways in Wales (M48) after being held up in morning traffic earlier on - which was in direct contradiction to the Government Department of Transport Guidelines that cameras must be clearly and visibly located in areas where accidents occur!)

And the unit which does the booking is called 'Accident Reduction Unit'. So I have since asked them to provide me with statistics demonstrating that they have actually reduced accidents on the M48 at the end of the 12 month period!

And the number of police patrol cars that I have noticed doing 80 to 95mph without any flashing lights, is evidence of the hypocricy of the police!

Ahh... got that off my chest
And hopefully gave some helpful info.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your help.

It is interesting to see the sentiment of the replies. I think everyone agrees that speeding round built up areas is a no-no, 10 mph is too fast past a primary school at home time.

Even now that I am older & wiser(???) I still think that in the right conditions 60 mph & 70 mph is a bit of a nonsense. I may have once strayed to over 160 mph on my 900cc sports bike (which frightened and I won't be repeating as i do not want to die) and so can see that unlimited speeds are also not a good idea.

In general a few things that annoy me about driving today are:
1 The police pulling up 'innocent' people for doing +10 mph over the limit while letting absolute moorons drive like they want to die.
2. Having being hit/literally almost killed by a drunk driver (who could just about walk they were so drunk) finding out that even though it was their second offence they only got an 18 month ban.
3. knowing that 10+ % of people have no car insurance.
And lots of other things really, but i'm starting on a rant so I'll stop there.

However I do like my SAABs so there is hope yet.
Regards

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Paul D's comments about the police ring true for me. I was making progress up a completely empty M5 last year in my 99 turbo when I came up on a white Volvo T5 doing 110mph in the middle lane. As I cruised past him in the outside lane on went his siren and the lights behind the grille. Luckily he just waved a finger at me and peeled off at the next exit. Needless to say the rest of the journey was done at 70mph ;-)
Wonder what his excuse was?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just a last one on this subject.The 70 MPH limit was not brought in to protect ford Angulars,it was brought in to save fuel in one of many crisis,also the government of the time was p....d off because AC were road testing their Cobra's @130mph+.The anti road lobby got on the band wagon and the limit has stayed ever since.The problem with speed limits is that the limit is constant,yet road conditions change all the time.Also the limit must be set for the LOWEST denominator ie:
The new driver in their 10 year old banger.
Do not be fooled into thinking that A & Motorway limits are anything other than money spinners and restrictions of your freedom.
By 'eck that feels better

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
MikeH, I thought it was Aston Martin, since their Newport Pagnall factory was right by M1. I daresay a few ACs had a go aswell ;-)

My previous comment was in response to Julian, but you were posting at the same time as me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We would all prefer the police to concentrate on dangerous rather than just fast driving but in practice they can't. Society makes is much easier for them to concentrate on rules and very difficult for them to use common sense.

Why? Well, how do we define dangerous?
Someone who is tired and not concetrating is dangerous. Regardless of speed.
Someone fully alert, well trained and competent in high speed driving techniques is safe. Regardless of speed.
Trouble is, the only thing the police can measure (and hence have upheld in court) is speed, not competence.
Gone are the days when a policemans word is law and always believed in court.
Gone are the days when they can use their judgement and meter our punishment as they feel fit.
Gone are the days when the police have any real power to use common sense rather than rules.
I should also add that gone are the days when the police get away with flagrent bias and corruption! (there is a plus side to everything!)
The police are human like everyone else. Society has given them a framework to work within so society has to put up with the consequence. In this case it means we have system that is so tied up with rules with everyone waiting to jump on any officer that steps out of line that they respond by enforcing those rules and sod common sense.
I think we (ie society) have made our bed so we must now lie in it!

Hell, I am starting to sound like my grandad

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I agree with most of your sentiments Toby, and in many cases the Police do get a raw deal.

But as Julians experience illustrates clearly, they can and do use discretion, and of course have to do so. Also, Dangerous and Reckless Driving are prosecutable and definable in law, so it is not simply a matter of 'speeding' being the only criteria for booking drivers.

But their is definately a campaign on in the UK at the moment to target speeding motorists, (doing 78+ mph) and based on the feedback, it is because motorists are soft targets for raising government revenue - as with fuel tax, etc. (oops, another sore point no doubt)!

Interesting point on the reason behind motorway limits were set.

Although I understand other limits were set back some 20 years ago (hence in the days of Ford Anglia's), based upon a survey of 'average' speeds on roads at that time. I did think this included motorway limits - but from the earlier comments, obviously not.

Mind you, why set the speed limit at 70 to save fuel, when the optimum is much nearer 50mph, as exampled by the USA?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Can't resist replying to this post.
Somerset & Avon authorities like to hide their Gatsos (see www.Gatso.co.uk for lot of info.). In Saltford (A4 Bristol to Bath) there is a newish one right up behind a left turn sign. To make matters worse, it is withing 100m of end of 30 zone, where you have been driving for 10 minutes in 30 zone, past 98% of shops/ houses. Cynical or what?
Other famous pair of Gatsos are on A46 where is becomes dual carriageway approaching Bath. First is on a downhill stretch which has limit of 50mph. Next one is 1.5miles on and is on the flat after a bridge. Both are nowhere near houses. Perhaps the revenue from these could be used to finish the bypass which never got done. What they did do was a total waste of time and the environment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts