Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking through numerous posts here, and the consensus seems to be that you just can't have larger discs and calipers (at least 4-pot) and expect to still fit the Super-Aeros on a 9000.

Or has anyone actually been able to find a solution to this? Are there suppliers who can actually make this possible, or this just what they claim?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Abbott Racing do a 308mm kit based on the 9-3 Viggen calipers, which will fit behind the standard 16" wheels. Watch out for the cost of replacement discs, though.

I believe GodSpeed also do a 308mm kit (which may include 4-pots but I'm not sure about that).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
as Marky said - WP Pro 2 piece ritors - 6 pot calipers and 290mm, leaves plenty of room between wheels and brakes for better cooling.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just for your info, I have a Saab accessory catalogue which list the Super Aero wheels as suitable for "all 9-3s except Viggen", which leads me to believe that they also wouldn´t fit a 9000 equipped with Viggen brakes.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The Abbott kit uses a 9-5 Aero disc. I believe from other posts here that this is the same size as the Viggen disc, but the Viggen disc is grooved. I have not checked personally. The Abbott kit is a tight fit in the Super Aero wheel. You cannot use stick on weights in the wheel centre as the hit the calipers.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]The Abbott kit uses a 9-5 Aero disc.  I believe from other posts here that this is the same size as the Viggen disc, but the Viggen disc is grooved. [/qb][/b]
Yes, both the 9-5 Aero front disc and the 9-3 Viggen front disc are 308mm. The latter is grooved from Saab.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 308 kit fits behind the super Aero's no problem.

Marks right about the wheel wieghts, also the dust backing plate is removed,I think that just means more [expletive deleted] gets on the wheels.

As for the discs the Abbott ones are grooved, but cost an unbelivable £175 each!

On a plus point, just noticed Elkparts now sell grooved 308 discs for £162 a pair, just need someone to machine them to fit on a 9K.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I'm very happy with the AP Racing kit I got from Abbott for my 9-5 (only the Mintex 1144 will have to be replaced for something quieter). Unfortunately, as I think the Super Aeros just are the best alloys for a 9000, APs are not an option. And neither would I like to stick the weights on the outside of the rims when using Abbott's 308 kit. Well, and then there is the usual Abbott surcharge to consider..

I've read good things about Godspeed's brakes, once the man gets them right so they actually fit on your car. Sorry, but I can't handle potential hassles such as these from afar.

Strange that noone seems to have actually tried the WP brakes. Or am I just looking in the wrong place? I find their claim that they will fit 292 mm discs and 6-pot calipers behind the Super Aeros intrigueing, but also somewhat incredible. Does noone here have any first-hand experience with these?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The WP brakes seem to use discs mounted on separate centres, which presumably allows the disc to be mounted further inboard than standard, providing room for the thin looking 6 pot caliper between the disc and the standard wheel. The standard discs will never allow use of anything other than a sliding (single cylinder) caliper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
(And neither would I like to stick the weights on the outside of the rims when using Abbott's 308 kit.)

The weights don't go on the outside of the rim(not on mine they don't anyway!), they just need to be clear of the caliper.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Those WP brakes look great and I've read a few posts that suggest they fit no problem.
Very interesting, although there's no way I could justify 1/3 of the car's value on front brakes at the moment

I guess you save buckets by not needing to change the wheels though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts