Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've now got the (2nd hand) Konis and Abbott springs on my 9000.

I've done about 100 miles in them (so not far) but so far the experience is not all positive.

Handling does seem improved - it corners *much* flatter, and feels more precise. Ride, however, is quite teeth-rattlingly unpleasant, even on the M4.

The Konis were set to 1 turn on installation. I've turned the front ones back to half a turn. This has helped a bit - I'll try turning them to maximum softness on the trip home tonight.

The rear ones I can't adjust as easily - what's involved in adjusting these, and would I see much difference from winding those back a bit too?

As I said, these are second hand but have probably been off a car for weeks/months - will they settle in over time, or have they done all the settling they will do?

The new springs have resulted in minimal lowering (15mm or so at the front, a little less at the back - and note this is not an Aero, so it wasn't lowered to start with) - this might suggest there's some settling to come?

Does anyone have any advice on settings for more conformt, or other experiences with this setup to offer?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have the same setup Abbott/Koni.
I am set to 1 turn front and 1.5 rear. The abbott springs have taken about 3+months to truly settle to what appears to be a final position. Rears are quick, fronts take ages. measuring up from the ground through the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel I think I am 65.5cm front and 64.5 rear - i.e. slightly lowered. Although the car looks slightly tipped up (very marginal), the bottom sill line is totally parallel with the ground as it should be. Patience required here.

How old are the shocks? If they have done less than 10k miles then they will be quite firm/not run in - And bear in mind that at 1 turn they are miles firmer than the Aero saab units I had. If you are going from a standard non-aero set-up you'll notice it even more. For the best compromise or ride and handling I reckon 0.5 - 1 turn all round (personal taste). Any less might get a bit wallowy with the stronger springs.
A strut brace improves the ride by removing lots of twist and crashiness also. Check all the suspension bolts and subframe bolts are tight too.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]How old are the shocks?  If they have done less than 10k miles then they will be quite firm/not run in
[/qb][/b]
Dunno. Allegedly less than a year old, though.
[qb]A strut brace improves the ride by removing lots of twist and crashiness also.[/qb][/b]
Got one When I fitted that, all but one of the dash rattles went. With the new one, the remaining rattle happens nearly constantly and there are a couple of new ones

[qb]Check all the suspension bolts and subframe bolts are tight too. [/qb][/b]
Can you refer me to which ones I should look at? I'm a mechanical ignoramus when it comes to such things.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This:
"through the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel"
Should say:
"through the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch"

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turning the fronts down completely was a lot better on the M4 on the way home tonight (perhaps a bit too far, though - at speed things felt slightly wavery, but that might have been the wind).

I'll try a quarter turn next time, and maybe increase if the Konis/springs do get "run in" a bit

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Soulhand:
[qb]I'll try a quarter turn next time, and maybe increase if the Konis/springs do get "run in" a bit [/qb][/b]
Set it to a quarter turn and had a run down the A343 and Hampshire rural roads. Great fun, and a huge difference from the old setup (and I think improved over the last few days - perhaps things are settling down)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am currently running 2 turns on the back and about the same on the front, the rears are not difficult to change, as long as the bottom bolt comes out easily! running on 17" rims and 40 profile tyres does make my car harsh compared to the standard Aero set-up, although my set-up is designed for short journey fun, not long haul motorway stuff, it does get a little annoying on a long journey, I am about to adjust the rear suspension back to 1 turn and similar to the front as I am going to be towing a track car about next year, so it will be interesting to see how it copes with a trailer and car on the back end??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts