Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi chaps,not you lot,but is it posible to get the knob off the top of the gear stick(manual).the leather is split on mine and i want to swop it for a good one.also the gate layout badge has come off so now the wife cant change gear anymore.
cheers
simon.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by scminks:
[qb]so thats a "no" then     .if thats the case,how easy is it to swop the gear sticks over?? [/qb][/b]
Easy.

Just remember that the gearlever nylon mounting ball and pivot changed from the older circlip locking to a nylon twist lock between 1991 and 1993 (maybe fron CC to CS body shell).

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yep.

Probably easiest to remove the passenger seat, and possibly the centre console.

You need to remove the bolt at the bottom of the lever.

1. Unclip and peel up leather/rubber gaitor
2a. if circlipped undo (and lift out lever)
2b. if nylon locked with spring, twist to stretch spring (and lift out lever)
3. refit is reverse of removal.

I think it took me about 30 minutes to remove to fit new bushes

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Simon, here are the instructions supplied with a new gearknob (only about £20 from the dealer). I did this on my Aero and it wasn't a huge job.

The new gearknob made a great difference to gear changes (the old one rotated every time I changed gear) and enhanced the look of the interior no end.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Andrew,
how did you removed the centre console? I did a DIY short throw shifter in my '87 and a friend's '95 Aero, but both times I had an hard time trying to remove it. I eventually removed the front two screws and lifted it as much as possible, since I didn't figured out how to unhook it at the back (there were no screws there)
It really seems easier with the console and the rear air ducts removed!

Anyway, scminks, in some cars the knob comes off just pulling it. When I removed the knob in my '87 I had to saw it, but I replaced it with another one that I just pulled away form a car in a junkyard. I also got the leather boot from that car...
Actualy, I think I pulled two knobs that time, one was the old plastic one and one was a leather one, the latter was just like the one Billj describes in his post. When I pulled the outer casing came out easly, then I had to unhook the reverse lock from the white plastic core, the I just pulled the plastic core too. At that point, I also had the reverse lock sleeve and the leather boot.

·
Registered
416 Posts
NOOO!!! STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's REALLY REALLY EASY!!!!!!!!!!

This is how to do it (my procedure from saab9000.com)!!!

HOWEVER!!!:
Since I wrote that procedure, I think I have come ip with an even easier way to do it (if that is possible) and you won't ruin your existing one!
Just remove the ring that is just inside the bottom of the gearknob - the ring in quetion is shown in the step 5 photo here:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts