Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any kit cars that use Saabs as donor cars?

I was just wondering as I can imagine how devastating a turbo Saab engine could be in something that weighed 750 kgs!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've never heard of a kit based on Saab running gear. However, since so many kits use Ford RWD running gear, you can get (or have made) adapters to fit a vast range of engines to a Ford gearbox.

I built a Quantum Xtreme (Lotus 7ish) five years ago, and Quantum,like many other companies, fabricate engine mountings for you if you are using a different engine.

I came across a Sierra Cosworth powered Dax Rush at a show that would do 0-100-0 in 12 seconds. With what some of you guys do with your Saab engines...!!!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Chouet:
[qb]I came across a Sierra Cosworth powered Dax Rush at a show that would do 0-100-0 in 12 seconds.  With what some of you guys do with your Saab engines...!!! [/qb][/b]
Is that all? My Maptun'ed 9000 Aero could do that without too much drama, at around 1500kg.. Then again, without any boost limit in 2nd gear, the gearboxes didn't seem to last too long ...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade, Bill, but 0 to 100 and back to 0 again in 12 seconds in your 9000? I'd need to see some proof on that one.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]Not trying to rain on your parade, Bill, but 0 to 100 and back to 0 again in 12 seconds in your 9000?  I'd need to see some proof on that one. [/qb][/b]
Maybe KPH ... in MPH it's just barely reaching the centennial mark.

·
Registered
778 Posts
IIRC, back in the late '60's, Car & Driver did a review of the 427 Cobra and it had very comparable 0-100-0 times...maybe a little more, something like 14+ seconds. I think the engine weighed more than the chassis. By the way, BillJ, did you ever get the green injectors for your Aero?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Bill, you don't need brakes, just a brick wall... do a 0-100 at a wall where you hit 100mph just before the wall!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts

I've driven Goodwood loads of times but don't remember ever seeing that tyre wall (or the rectangle of reddish tarmac on the apex of that corner) - it looks like the second part of Lavant (I've been off on the outside there and almost made it to the outer tyre wall/bank...)?

Mike

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Going back to the original question..

I was interested in building a kit car myself at one stage, something I may well do if I ever have the time/money/space to do it. If I were to build one, it would have to be a mid engined car so that I could easily use the whole engine and gearbox from a 9000 2.3T for example. I personally think that in a lighter car the 9000 'box would be well up to the job as with a lower inertia car there would be less stress on the moving parts ... and as a result the car would be mighty mighty quick!

I did go to a few of the kit car shows in 2003 around the time my mate was buying his locosaki. I asked around the companies who did mid-engined kits but nobody had any experience of using Saab engines. One comment I got back was "thats a triumph lump isn't it, it would be a heavy beast and would probably effect the weight balance.." I won't say who offered that opinion, just that they preferred to use Rover T-series engines.

So in answer, as far as I know, there are no Saab engined kit cars in the UK. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]IIRC, back in the late '60's, Car & Driver did a review of the 427 Cobra and it had very comparable 0-100-0 times...maybe a little more, something like 14+ seconds.  I think the engine weighed more than the chassis.  [/qb][/b]
I know Shelby's factory test driver (an Englishman by the name of Ken Miles) did the 0-100-0 run in 13.8secs, in an early 427 Cobra.

I think that record stood for nearly 20 years....

That's still pretty quick even today, must have seemed on another planet in 1965.....

Especially in the UK of 1965, where your average family saloon would have be doing well to do 0-50 in 13.8 secs.....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cobra kit cars are pretty popular, here in the 'states. There's a beautiful one nearby that's done with a Jaguar suspension, all-aluminum Ford V-8 that gets close to 600 hp, and beautifully painted British Racing Green.
I know a guy that designs mechanical displays for a major toy company. He used a B234 engine in an old Buick hot rod - mated to a GM automatic transmission using a special adapter plate he designed.
Myself, I'm still searching for the right C5 Corvette to transplant a B234 into. There's a convertible at the insurance salvage auctions, right now, that was a 'recovered-theft'. The only problems are that it's a convertible and an automatic. The engine and wheels are missing. Ideally, I'm looking for a coupe (more rigid) and the 6 speed manual. The B234 wouldn't be very difficult to fit into this vehicle and the 6 speed rear transaxle would be more than sufficient to deal with the torque that a modified B234 could provide. I think it would make the ideal 'kit' car: the lighter B234 in the front and a rear transaxle would even improve and already very good rear/front weight ratio. Also, there's a plethora of off-shelf braking, suspension improvements.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hmm - tbh if I had the choice between a 4 pot turbo and a large capacity V8, I'd take the V8 everytime. Especially for a Cobra For me at least there's something a lot more special about it and unless I'm doing a lot of miles in the car it wouldnt be an issue.
From a cost point of view it may make more sense though if you can pick up the Saab engine cheaply and the uncharted territory of getting it to fit could be fun.

Funnily enough I have looked at kitcars for years and decided that apart from the very good and expensive ones they just werent worth the money as the finishing on many was awful and most of the non-replcas look like a pile of fiberglass from 300yds (as did many of the replicas)
Did fancy a Dax Cobra though...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, this one's for you, faero:
LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 with lightweight reciprocating components
500 horsepower (373 kw) at 6200 rpm
475 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) at 4800 rpm
7000 rpm redline
Engine hand-built at GM’s Wixom, MI plant
* Unique cylinder block casting with large, 104.8-mm bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
* Forged steel main bearing caps
* Forged steel crankshaft
* Titanium connecting rods with 101.6-mm stroke
* Forged aluminum flat-top pistons
* 11.0:1 compression
* Dry-sump oiling system
* Camshaft with .591-inch lift
* Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
* Titanium pushrods and valve springs
* Low-restriction air intake system
* Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique “quad flow” collector flanges.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guys,

Since the conversation has steered towards Cobras and specifically Dax Cobras, I thought you may be interested that I have one of those.

Much as I love my Saab - you can't beat it for raw seat-of-the-pants driving!

Bloody quick and excellent fun (but bloody cold this time of year!)

Sean

1 - 20 of 29 Posts