Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of today neither of my key fobs will unlock the doors. They lock okay.

The boot/trunk release works though on both fobs

I only have a basic OBD reader and it is not showing any faults but of course it doesn't go as deep as a Tek2

I can of course get in with the key on the passenger side but that sets the alarm off, and while I can get in quick and put the key in the ignition to stop it, the neighbours are not happy. Especially at 7am

I wonder if anyone has a clue?

Thc

N

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
do they go back to normal operation once inserted back into the ism..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do they go back to normal operation once inserted back into the ism..
No they don't. And then once in a while they do work, no reason to it.

I can't think both fobs have duff buttons both at once. Do these type keys have a sid warning on battery life?

n

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
only other remedy is remove negative off the batt for 5 mins allowing the systems to reset..then resync fobs to car..leave in ism for 5-10 secs each..

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you double click it does the passenger door unlock? It could be a lock issue. Or it could possibly be a door switch. If you try to unlock but the doors are already unlocked, do they lock after a half minute or so? I’m thinking the fobs probably work and there’s something contradicting unlocking the doors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I has similar issues - a member of another forum wrote to me with 95% fix to most fob problems.

Open the fob - essentially the rubber press pad contacts are dirty (even if they dont look dirty) as they tarnish and thats enough to stop flow of power. Both the contacts in the PCB and the little brass cones or embed brass disks in the rubber press pad need through cleaning.

Start by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or electrical cleaner with an ear bud (use only one bud end on each - use another clean bud for each of them).

in my case using the finest grit wet/dry abrasive paper (1200 grit or next one down) - I discovered by very lightly brushing across the the contact points on the PCB and embedded discs (in my case) the paper quickly showed that on most of the contact points the center of the contact point (where the two contact each other) was quite tarnished. (shows up as a dark spot) I kept lightly brushing with just the corners of the paper on every contact until there was an even shine across the whole surface.

Then cleaned each each again with alcohol and put it back together - bingo everything works perfectly.

If you have the cones that fall out when you open - do it over a large tray or bowl so they don't bounce off and get lost. With cones they need the same treatment but a small fine brass wire brush may be easier than the abrasive paper. (If you have the embedded brass discs in the rubber pressure pad - careful bend the pad around eah disc so it protrudes out so you can easily get at them to clean)

Be careful when opening the thing - the little plastic tabs that clip over protruding hooks snap off very easily so take real care and patience when prising apart.Mine also had a slot at one end with a clip inside you have to press down on as well to slide the 2 halves apart) Good luck :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi I has similar issues - a member of another forum wrote to me with 95% fix to most fob problems.

Open the fob - essentially the rubber press pad contacts are dirty (even if they dont look dirty) as they tarnish and thats enough to stop flow of power. Both the contacts in the PCB and the little brass cones or embed brass disks in the rubber press pad need through cleaning.

Start by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or electrical cleaner with an ear bud (use only one bud end on each - use another clean bud for each of them).

in my case using the finest grit wet/dry abrasive paper (1200 grit or next one down) - I discovered by very lightly brushing across the the contact points on the PCB and embedded discs (in my case) the paper quickly showed that on most of the contact points the center of the contact point (where the two contact each other) was quite tarnished. (shows up as a dark spot) I kept lightly brushing with just the corners of the paper on every contact until there was an even shine across the whole surface.

Then cleaned each each again with alcohol and put it back together - bingo everything works perfectly.

If you have the cones that fall out when you open - do it over a large tray or bowl so they don't bounce off and get lost. With cones they need the same treatment but a small fine brass wire brush may be easier than the abrasive paper. (If you have the embedded brass discs in the rubber pressure pad - careful bend the pad around eah disc so it protrudes out so you can easily get at them to clean)

Be careful when opening the thing - the little plastic tabs that clip over protruding hooks snap off very easily so take real care and patience when prising apart.Mine also had a slot at one end with a clip inside you have to press down on as well to slide the 2 halves apart) Good luck :)

Thanks, Yes I may try that as precaution for the future, but I think the problem was something else as both key fobs stopped working at the same time and now both are working again. For no good reason!

So I am going to leave well alone for now, rather than disturb the evil Swedish god that inhabits these 93's electrics!

N

1 - 7 of 7 Posts