Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Any advice on the following gratefully received. I've recently bought a 2009 Saab 9-3 Cabriolet Aero 1.9 TTID. Love the car but happy to upgrade using proper SAAB/SAAB approved bits. I was looking through the Torque magazine and they have an audio upgrade - Kenwood DNX4150DAB (p3 - http://torque.orio.com/) which would give me sat nav, digital radio and allow me to get rid of the parrot I currently have. Expensive unit at £999 (£1,099 with fitting). On amazon the same unit is £657 so I emailed Saab Alexanders to ask them if they'd install. They said they'd only install if I bought the part through them for £999. My query is whether I could buy from Amazon, take out the parrot and replace the existing cd/radio unit with the new unit myself? (I'd need instruction on what precisely to do). Amazon says there are instructions with the unit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-DNX-4150DAB-Double-Din-Digital-Bluetooth/dp/B00UB1YN4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434634989&sr=8-1&keywords=kenwood+dnx4150dab) but will I be able to remove the existing unit without special tools? Are there any coding issues? Would an independent garage do it me without any loss in functionality?

I'm novice so go easy on me,

All thoughts welcome

james

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Hello james there's prolly no reason why you cannot do it yourself ,or get an independent garage to fit it , I think saab Alexander's attitude was a bit awful , there's no coding issues with the original unit ,just make sure you get the right leads to still use the sterring wheel controls , look up on here .
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've e-mailed Saab about why they continue to charge so much for a unit which can be bought elsewhere so much more cheaply (and I believe has been superseded twice by newer/upgraded models). They haven't troubled to reply. My guess is they're charging about £600 to install it. Disappointing when they're trying to get owners of a discontinued car brand to stay loyal to their service centre network. I call it taking the pi*s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Christmas, I completely agree. You'd think in the spirit of trying to keep the brand alive they'd be a bit more helpful. When you say think the unit has been superseded what's the latest model I should be looking at? I'm inclined to call their bluff, buy the part for a good price and present it to them for fitting. They'd have to turn away the business. If they do I'll take it to another garage or have a crack myself taking into account lizzard-t's point on leads. Cheers again

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you go for a DAB setup on the vert you will need to think about a decent aerial........the window types are a bit intrusive imho and I couldnt get a splitter setup to work well with the already amplified signal.

In the end I replaced the rear wing aerial with a dedicated HAL-2 aerial and rerouted the cabling which worked well for about 12mths until someone decided to whack it and crack the base.

The actual head unit install was easy when compared to the messing about I had to do to get a decent DAB signal.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So I'm sat here nervously in a J D Wetherspoon eating a very large breakfast with very strong coffee whilst my car is having it's stock head unit removed and the new Kenwood DDX-4016 fitted. Hopefully, the factory BOSE fitted 9 speaker system will be done suitable justice with the new HU. I believe I do have one advantage over the usual amplifier fitted to the 9-3, mine has a rather different BOSE amp, factory fitted, in the usual space in the cubby in the left hand side of the boot.

The suspense is doing my head in.....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well, the Kenwood DDX-4016DAB install is in and it is absolutely chuffing brilliant!

Turned out that having it professionally fitted, despite the £70 cost of doing so, was so worth it. It took them about an hour and a half to fit but initally, when they switched it on, there apparently was just an awful hiss that wouldn't go away until they made up another bit of kit which sorted it and that took them another 45 minutes. I would not have been able to do this job and for them, although they do fitments to 9-3's all the time, mine was the first BLS they'd done. At least all of the wiring in mine is the same as the 9-3, that made life a lot easier for them, only the actual fitting/facia kit was slightly different.

I haven't lost any functionality on anything, I can operate my iphone from both steering wheel, including the phone book, or all by touch on the screen. The Bluetooth is excellent.

I can still see in settings what my service percentage is, currently standing at 41 percent for the intermediate service. Whether or not the Time for Service will pop up in August is another matter, but I'm not bothered anyway as I service the car myself.

The sound is pretty incredible. Although my Cadillac is based almost entirely on the 9-3, it did come with a better factory BOSE install on the speakers and amp, something which has made the listening experience out of this new head unit pretty incredible. The guys that fitted it were certainly impressed.

By contrast, the stock Delphi/Grundig unit they took out, is little more than a dinosaur. Yes, admittedly, I no longer have ICE with satnav, but I don't need it as my TomTom is far superior anyway.

The DAB radio experience is also incredible. I had huge reservations about the amplified windscreen antenna they fitted, but it has turned out to be excellent, far better than the mag mount aerial I had before. Not a single drop out on the 16 mile journey home including the areas I normally transit where my previous add on unit would lose signal regularly.

All in all, the whole lot, head unit, all of the fitting sundries and fitment, cost me £500, but in my mind the best money I've spent for ages. Finally, the car has the infotainment system it deserves.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Update, I can confirm that the 'Time for Service' indicator no longer functions. I discovered this after I had to disconnect/reconnect the battery when I swapped my steering wheel. Prior to disconnecting the battery, there was still a reading, but it now just shows dashes. I'm not at all bothered by this as I service the vehicle myself and keep good records.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts