Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should be focusing on the suspension since i have really focused on the power mods, but have
been thinking that i really want to finish the power mods right with the downpipe, concern is/was that sourcing the jt in the states w/ catco sport cat is around US700...

...question..purchasing the jt with no cat, which is significantly less money (around 300US) and brings it down into my price range...so what is everyones strategy with the downpipe?...by this i mean, do you have auto inspections ?...

i have a car and emissions every two years...so i am still not due for another year...while i haven't installed yet, seems straightforward...so i wonder if i could run no cat (do you find it really loud without the cat?)...and just replace my original cat and downpipe for emissions testing? thoughts?

thx eric

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Can't say about the noise Eric but have just ordered the same and am awaiting delivery (hopefully in the next few days). Will have to retain my old pipe/cat in respect of MOT testing which is done annually on cars over three years old.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Maarten has this downpipe on his 900. He should be able to comment on the noise and performance aspects.

As for emmisions testing. I would recommend getting the pipe and then sourcing a proper sport cat from Summit racing or some other similar shop and get it welded in. Swapping the pipes is a possibility but to me, it would be a bigger pain to do rather than just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The 3" downpipe with cat matched to the Saab sportexhaust is slightly louder than the 3" JT exhaust from turbo to rearbumper without cat. Unlike the Saab sportexhaust, the JT has a mid muffler fitted, hence the difference in sound level.

An exhaust without mid muffler matched to a downpipe without cat will be very loud. ERP has had this setup on his 900SET and added a cat because the noise was getting annoying. More info on ERP's informative website.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Engstrom has the JT 3" downpipe for $259 and you can get a catco on ebay for about $90. The catco is the same one that Speedparts supplies. Also, Bo might give a better price on his since you'd be buying both pieces. He has his catco listed for $150.

-Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i just talked with nick t over at genuinesaab.com about adding the cat to the JT downpipe with the 16" available off of summit racing...evidently, the race cat that comes fitted with the JT setup is only 10"...and he has tried to add the 16" to the 9-3 and he couldn't get it to fit...

i am not sure if there are differences in space available between the NG900 and 9-3 (i think he was trying on a viggen and i have a 96 NG900), any thoughts on this one?...ugh..back in the same boat...don't really want the noise without the cat, but don't want to pay 700US for the 10" cat and downpipe..

if there is some way to fit the 16" cat from summit on the NG900, please share pics and experiences!..i think that i can get into this setup for around 400-450US (after sourcing a shop to fit the extra O2 sensor and hangers on the cat?)...

big thanks again!

eric

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Eric
I take it that the same still applies that there is no hole for the second O2 sensor? Any idea of size and thread used on the sensor as I shall probably drill and tap it myself?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
696 Posts
Julian All Saabs starting from Modelyear '01 have 2 o2 sensors. Att least that's what they told me on my Saab Technician Trainings.
Us cars Had them earlier.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Oops, yes sorry you are correct. Looks like all Trionic 7 cars get 2 O2 sensors.

Still don't think it affects Mike though?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi I am back yes '94 900T - so that's a relief - less bother and work for me - bye the bye Julian - any news on my order - must be due soon . I was also interested to read that Andrew's 9000 Carly passed its MOT minus cat this last week.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great, thanks for the info folks...and now i get the picture on the fitting of the sport cat, thanks for the additions to the site eric!...now i just need to figure out what i should focus on...haha...those b/g or h/r springs would sure be nice with some new sachs...(don't know if i am willing to sprign for the konis, and abbott has low mileage sachs)....i did find a local exhaust shop that could do the welding though on the cat though..

thanks

eric

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by LocoSaab:
[qb]Any idea of size and thread used on the sensor as I shall probably drill and tap it myself?[/qb][/b]
It will be M18 and the conventional way to fit it is to drill a hole and weld in a threaded boss, like the one for the first sensor on the downpipe. I believe Walkers list an O2 sensor boss.

I'm not sure simply drilling a hole and tapping it would work as you might have trouble sealing it. Also, an M18 tap is hard to find, certainly here in the UK, because it is so big. Having had no joy with a large engineering firm that we use at work when I needed to clean the thereads in the boss in my old downpipe, I eventually found a tiny local machine shop that had one that I could borrow. I'm not sure there is anything he hasn't got crammed into his tiny workshop - there's hardly room to move...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks Bill
I was going to weld on a piece of soft iron or some such, then drill and tap. It seems I now don't need to and will save me the cost of a tap and finding one. I did a similar exercise on a swan neck inlet manifold for a 45DCOE to put a vacuum take off on an A series years ago. The tap cost me nearly as much as the manifold.

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hi griffin,

same place...genuinesaab.com...a couple of items down is the JT for the NG900...717$..ouch...without the cat is 300$....engstrom has similar prices..ERP has the right idea here..it looks like it might have cost him 450 or less total including the fabrication/welding...i think i have a lead on a shop to do the work also!...:)

thanks!

eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts