Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a full 3" JT with sports cat. In standard guise 150BHP, by how much would this increase BHP roughly? I declared the exhaust in my insurance renewal quote and they want to know by how much BHP is improved if at all. There is no literature i can find that answers this.
Any ideas?
P

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My carly (should be 220bhp) went from 204bhp with standard saab exhaust and cat to 236bhp with full 3"jt and no cat (from 16bhp under to 16bhp over)

a 7% increase on standard

Take a guess...

Andrew

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I noticed the difference on my aero after fitting. I told the insurance company i had a sports exhaust, they said "wont make a difference, allowed 3 modifications for free" and it is just noted on the papers, as "Exhaust, Sports System".. no need to tel lthem the power difference

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Did you notice the difference after fitting?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not in peak BHP, no. I defy anyone to tell the difference between 225bhp and 235bhp without measuring equipment. And that 10bhp, if it is real at all, will be less for a lower-powered car.

I did notice a marked reduction in turbo lag, which is quite pronounced on a standard 9000 Aero.

And remember that insurance companies tend to consider "percentage BHP increase" so if you say it's 10bhp extra on your 150bhp car (7% increase), they'll view it as more additional risk than they did when I added 10bhp to my 225bhp car (4% increase). However, these things tend to fall into bands so the additional cost might work out the same unless the next band up starts at 5% increase.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
the main thing i noticed was the increase in lower torque.. which comes down to reduction of turbo lag. the spool up is much quicker wit hthe JT fitted, and i was not thinking it would make as much of a difference as it really does.. top end though? i dont wind it out that much to notice it if it has increased it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My premium will increase by approx £40 if the exhaust just 'looks nice and sounds loud' (makes it more 'nickable' apparently), however a premium of £80 extra for increases up to 10% then more for 11-20% etc etc.

I think the exhaust is a rather obvious mod, hence me declaring it this time round. The stage 2 upgrade (cat back only) seems to suggest an extra 14 bhp,on from stage 1 software, so could one assume a full system will be more than this?

Incidentally, the exhaust has made a notable difference in performance, nothing electric, but more so when I run my stage 1ppc software

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Stage 2 software is different from Stage 1. It is not the exhaust that increases the horsepower in a Stage 2. It is the fact that with less exhaust backpressure and therefore lower exhaust gas temperatures, it is safer to use more boost, which Stage 2 is programmed to do.

The exhaust alone, I'd say, will give very little power increase. Couldn't you just assume that and tell the insurance company it is cosmetic?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
On an old APC 2.3T I found it completely changed the character of the car and there was a very noticeable increase in top end grunt, although at the expense of some mid range torque (perhaps due to lower backpressures?). Andrew's results with his Carly demonstrate how the older APC cars will tend to adapt upwards quite readily.

I wouldn't expect a standard tune 2.0LPT to benefit to such a degree as there's little room for it to adapt upwards as the software can't increase peak boost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts