Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken my JT front pipe off and replaced with CAT for tomorrow's MOT. The gap between the 3" pipe and the sump is minimal and it has been rubbing a little over the last year - I will try to line it up better when I re-fit but can anyone suggest what I could put between the pipe and the sump to protect it _ I am think along the lines of a dense foam about 6mm thick but that would stand exhaust temps? Asbestos bandage springs to mind but not sure what has superceded this now on H & S grounds
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some exhaust wrap should do the trick if re-aligning won't fix, by the way was there a gasket between the front pipe and the turbo or a std flange joint?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rhod - standard flange to turbo connection - no gasket on this joint.
Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It seems like the JT systems might suffer from poor quality control. My 3" down pipe runs too low, much further from the sump than the Saab OE.
Nick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Think I'd go along with the quality control suggestion as I fitted a full system recently and it is also lower than the OE system at the front.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I agree. Just do not wrap the entire exhaust. It's not stainless, and exhaust wrap will trap moisture against the metal and cause corrosion.

Shame about the quality control. It's not a cheap exhaust, and not even entirely stainless.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - can complain about the rest of the fit although the joints could be better - I use exhaust bandage here to seal as well as 'U' clamps but will be trying my 'No More Nails' trick when I re-fit - I only need something at this point to stop it chaffing the sump so will give the exhaust wrap a try. I have never liked joints that slot into one and other and have to rate the 9000 exhaust flange joints as the best I have come across.

Mike

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts