Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've gone through my S-03's on the front in about 6,000 miles

I tend to drive fast but I don't throw it into corners etc.

I have just replaced the rears after getting a 'rip' the height of the sidewall. I replaced the factory fit Michelins with Kumho 712's which were chosen due to....cost, at £60 each I thought what the hell, but I have noticed they seem to have stiff sidewalls, I thought someone had kindly uprated my suspension while they were doing the tyres.
They truly did make the rear end feel better & stiffer. They have a wear rating of 280 as opposed to the Bridgestones which are 220.

Might go for Goodyear Eagle F1's next.

I read in a recent post that for trackdays you guys put up to 40psi in, what is the reason for having them so hard?

Skiddins

Skiddins

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Skiddins:
[qb]I read in a recent post that for trackdays you guys put up to 40psi in, what is the reason for having them so hard?
[/qb][/b]
A couple...
- To help reduce sidewall flex for sharper cornering
- To reduce overall flex and thus also reduce self heating- remember most blowouts are in some way caused by under inflation.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA (Saab 'M-F' 9-3):
[qb] I reckon these will be pretty useful for the Saab trackday...

I'll let you know how I get on with them as a 'sports' tyre.

Yokohama AVS Sport. 225/45 zr 17.

But also, you'll be pleased to hear, rather grippy. Fronts didn't last too long, though

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm considering two options... the first are some s/h tyres that I will use tyre softener on and effectively run as slicks or, alternatively, these:

Yokohama A048R. Just about the closest thing to being a slick and still be road legal. They also make them in my two possible sizes- 215/45R17 and 225/40R18

[edit] There's one downside though- a wear rating of 60!!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you are looking at 'R' Compound tyres .. suggest you also look at Michelin Pilot Sport CUP -

The tyres I've listed above.. including the Yokohama ADVAN series A048 and A032R are not designed to deal well with rain... so be carefull and hope it's a lovely sunny day.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Skiddins:
[qb] I read in a recent post that for trackdays you guys put up to 40psi in, what is the reason for having them so hard?
[/qb][/b]
A couple...
- To help reduce sidewall flex for sharper cornering
- To reduce overall flex and thus also reduce self heating- remember most blowouts are in some way caused by under inflation. [/qb][/b][/quote]On the ring we tend to let air out of the tyre druing the day to maintain the same pressure. Laps of the ring (74 corners per lap over 22KMs) bring the tyre temps very high,, increasing operating pressure within the tyre.. I've seen my pressures go from 2.7BAR on the RS2 up to 3.4BAR after only one lap.

So, in order for the tyres not to go 'off' we let some air out to stabilise the pressure at the wanted 2.7bar.. at the end of the day once the tyres have cooled.. we then put pressure back in the tyres for the run home.. the next day (really cold) we then make sure the tyres are at operating pressure again.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yokohama A048R. Just about the closest thing to being a slick and still be road legal. They also make them in my two possible sizes- 215/45R17 and 225/40R18  

[edit]There's one downside though- a wear rating of 60!!  [/b]
Yep, these tyres are available as an option on the Stuart Taylor kit cars. They quote a life expectancy of 1000 "hard-driven" miles IIRC, when fitted to a car which weighs 450kg!!! So on a Saab, they probably won't last more than a couple of trackdays at best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.