Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maybe about to buy a 94' 9000CDE auto but would like to know how safe it is to tow?.
As far a I know you can if you limit your speed to 30-40 (not saying i'll be doing that speed with the front heels on the ground,and I would driving roughly 8 miles, would this be right?
My mate last night said, just put more water in it and drive it and keep your eye on it (blown h/gasket) it runs/iddles, fine well it did in the yard.
I still reckon towing, what do you think.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd probably tow it (to make sure you don't cause any further damage, if the head gasket has gone and you drive it you could end up putting water throught the engine as well as oil!), best to use a solid bar tow or if you can, one of those cradles that the front wheels fit into.

Skiddins

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Check your manual.

My 9-5 auto (which has a different auto box) can only be towed at walking pace. (I'll go and get the handbook and check the exact figure). When I broke down on the North Circular road last year the AA patrol man refused to tow me to a Saab dealer as "it would have taken over two hours". I got a free Relay truck that I wasn't paid up for.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Theres no problem with towing as far as the engine is concerned but any auto cannot be towed more than 30mph for more than 30 miles and then only if the gear lever is in neutral and you have added 2 litres of transmission fluid to the box - use Dexron II ATF. (quoted from my handbook) Any faster or longer and the gearbox will overheat and cost you £1500!!. All the recovery services always ask if your car is an auto or manual so that if it is an auto they will always tow it with the front wheels off the ground. Also the brakes have an electical pump and you will never stop the thing even at 20mph if the electrics are not on once the hemisphere has lost pressure - takes about 3 stops to lose all pressure. I've tried. This was with the engine running though but the fuse for the pump blown, so I don't know if you need the engine running as well as the electrics.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guy's

Like you say Skiddins probably towing it, but I dont have of those bars that lift the wheels it would need to be the ordinary towing bar.

I'd thought of getting the RAC also but the car isn't taxed, and I was told that if he looked at the windscreen and noticed there wasn't any they wouldn't tow you.
How true is that?.

I forgot about filling the g/box up before setting off. And also for the brakes would I not have any or just hardly any because the engine's not running.
I'd be towing with the bm and the bar (if I still have it), so the bm would have to able to stop the two cars theoreticaly,well its discs all round too so it cope taking it easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.