Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to officially go on record as saying the design placement of the oil filter on a B202 shows a complete lack of forsight, or at the very least apathy towards my garage floor! I have yet to devise a way of removing the filter without having oil p*ss**g over the axel boot onto the motor mount, where it slowly sucks the life out of the rubber and then the sub-frame where it is diverted in every direction and completely misses the drain bucket on ALL sides. Not only that but it continues to emmit from the successive drain ports of the sub-frame for days!

I will, however, NOT let it defeat me for I will devise a scheme so cunning, so brilliant as to cause my garage floor to sing my praises forevermore!

.....there....now I feel better

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more about the oil filter placement on the B202. It's bloody awkward to get at and when you do get it off the oil runs down your sleeve as well as all over the bits you mentioned. The best solution I could come up with was to slip a plastic bag over the filter after initially loosening it, then unscrew it within the plastic bag. This contained most of the oil and helped reduce the mess.
Fortunately my current car has a B234

·
Registered
763 Posts
Could not agree more with you...my solution was to tackle it from above with a carrier bag aound it...gently pull it out from between engine/bulkhead, not a drop spilled! Now with a B204, IT IS A DODDLE!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mutungi,

How the hell could you get at the filter from above? You must have arms like a gorilla.
I could only get access from underneath or via the N/S wheel arch after removing the wheel.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you think thats bad try the one on our boat. You have to stand astride the engine and reach down one side and undo the oil filter without a) bashing your knuckles on the starter motor (1 inch clearance) or when its covered in oil dropping the bl**dy thing into the bilges where it vanishes leaving a small oil slick to mark its hiding place.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts