Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after nearly four months of driving around in a Proton my 3.0L V6 900 is finally back on the road.

The Fox had the dubious honour of being the first Saabscener to see it as I met him straight after picking it up to drop off my old wheels.

B****y typical though - got home, swithced off and went inside to make a cuppa. Next minute one of my neighbour's banging on the door to let me know that steam is pouring out of the front of the 900. Blown top hose!!!

All I've got to do now is remove four months of accumulated grime off the car (inside & out) and we're ready to go.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts

Good to hear that, Ian (not about the top hose, though ) Look forward to seeing your 3.0V6 next time we meet.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I can vouch for the fact that Ian's car will be a sleeper!
I told Ian that he should put 2.0 Diesel badges on the back just to annoy errant BMW drivers that dare to overtake him!

Ian- just spent an Hour cleaning the wheels, going to get some primer and wheelpaint tomorrow

Sorry to hear about the top hose- didnt you say something like the radiator was the only original bit left?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by TheFox:
[qb]Ian- just spent an Hour cleaning the wheels, going to get some primer and wheelpaint tomorrow    :thumbsup:  

Sorry to hear about the top hose- didnt you say something like the radiator was the only original bit left?      [/qb][/b]
Many apologies about the state of the wheels but as I'd only picked up the car half an hour earlier I didn't get a chance to give them a wipe over. I did rather feel a bit emabarrased at handing them over that dirty, especially when you look at the gleaming condition Woofage's were when I got them.

At least the top hose went when the car was parked up rather than halfway up the motorway. Luckily it split right by the jubilee clip so I was able to to cut it and refit. It'll keep me going until I can get a new one on Monday.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Dont be daft - i needed something to do this afternoon anyway! Did it rain all the way home?
I saw the 911 (about 3 cars ahead of you) get its tail out at the next roundabout in the downpour.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Great to learn that you car's back on the road
. I look forward to a time when I can experience it .

Originally posted by Ian Wigg:
[qb]the gleaming condition Woofage's [wheels] were when I got them.      [/qb][/b]
Glad they've gone to a good home .

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it's not exactly accurate (and a little pointless really) but I was curious to get an idea of the actual performance rather than what it feels like so I ran a couple of 30 to 100 times using speedo and stopwatch, auto box in sport mode and kickdown rather than locking it down into 3rd. Each run came in at about 10 seconds which seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone wants to give. Oh, forgot to add she's running on standard BP unleaded.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]30-100 kph I assume.  If that were in MPH you'd be as fast as the 300 hp USDM STi.  For reference a 250-260 hp Viggen does it in roughly 11 seconds ...

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
Nope 30 to 100 mph. Allowing for the fact that I was timing, could easily be a second or so out which would make it 11/12'ish which based on the above would seem in the right ballpark. I'm not overly fussed with the numbers per se, it was rather a exercise to see if it was actually as quick as it feels and not just because I've spent the last four months driving a Proton! 12 seconds 30-100mph would be enough to make me a happy bunny.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
In that case it's performing quite well indeed.
Certainly extremely good numbers. The V6 may actually be slightly underrated. The Viggen puts more to the wheels than the V6 is "rated" at the crank (course we all know how useful factory ratings are these days
) ... so you're doing VERY well to be even in the same ballpark ...

... now you need to take it to the states and GIMME A RIDE!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Most of the US Viggens are at about 212-214 ... mine put down 213 so it seems pretty consistant. Still not sure on the European market. But even the tuner's upgrades are underrated. MapTun stage 3 is about 285 hp, but as much as 500 NM ... my stock Viggen put down between 401-414 NM depending on what you assume for drivetrain loss. It put 340 NM to the wheels.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The V6 is rated 210 at the crank with 300nm. It'll be interesting to see what the actuak figures are when we do the rolling road day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts