Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently done quite a bit of work on my 87t addressing several oil leaks and trying to suss out my idle problem. I think I've covered all the basics like vaccum hoses and the idle control valve. Anyway I installed new NGK plugs and attempted to set the timing. I could see the degree marks but I couldn't read the numbers. I set it at what I thought was 0 and decided to drive it to see how it did. If it wasn't right I'd just advance it a degree or two. If that didn't do it I'd retard it. Anyway you get the picture. But what I was wondering was is there a way to tell which direction to adjust based on the symtoms of the engine as you drive? For example if it stalls a lot or if you here pinging or knocking from the lifters, that kind of thing. I want my car running right before I make APC adjustments and drive her in the way she was meant to be driven

·
Registered
623 Posts
Timing should be at 19 degress before TDC, but I'm afraid that any way of adjusting it "by hear" isn't reliable. You really need the proper tool, the stroboscopic gun. I did bad mistakes setting the timing by hear.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a gun but can't read the numbers. I guess I could pull the wheel off and turn the crank to TDC and mark it but I just spent 4 days under the car so I was trying to avoid another trip up on the stands and down on my back. Oh well, I guess I've recouperated long enough

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.