Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

its a bit smokey!!

Tags
bit smokey
3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  saabz2000 
#1 ·
I've got a 9000 2.3T Griffin. 170,000 with 2 head gaskets, one encompassing the valve stem seals being re-fitted.

After short journeys I have a light blue smoke which, to be honest, pours out the exhaust on idle. However, after a good rev or starting off this disappears. The car is still on the original turbo - could this be the problem??

#6 ·
My 1988 9000T (174,000 miles) use to produce blue smoke on idle, especially in hot weather or if standing in traffic queue enough to bring the fan on - all other times no smoke. I put this down to oil seeping past the turbo bearing/seal and burning off in the exhaust. It did it for about two years with no problems except keeping an eye out for the law (evening all),when i use to turn it off in a queue.. and it passed its MOT fine even with this.

#8 ·
That definitely sounds like turbo oil seals to me. My Aero did the same - really smokey on idle (so bad it was a danger to other road users), but would clear after a hard run, only to come back after a minute or so idling.

Turbo Technics would have reconditioned the turbo (the Aero TD04, rather than the smaller T25) for about £200, with me removing and replacing the turbo myself. The T25 would probably be cheaper.

My '87 9000T was doing this occasionally when I gave it away at 200K miles.

#9 ·
I've not had to change a turbo yet and I've had some high milers and abused them.

2* 99T, one at 200,000, one to 185,000.
3 900t8v, one to 262,000, two to 160,000,
1 2.3 carlsson at 162,000
1 CS Aero at 131,000

Plus a few other lower mile turbo's.

Even the old non water cooled turbo's just seem to go and go without problems.

Yours does seem to be oil seals though, being drawn through due to the low pressure.

Andrew

#10 ·
perhaps you bought them just after they had been replaced ..... tee hee!!!! shrewd move!!
Seriously, don't forget that turbo longevity is down to how you treat it, turbos don't have seals as such, oil leakage is due to wear in the bearing assembly. Change oil at least every 6000 miles if not earlier and make sure you let the turbo spin down on idle for 10 secs at least before shut off. Also refrain from using any boost until engine is properly warm. I know of a volvo 760 2.3T that has cracked 330,000 miles on the original unit and still going as far as i'm aware ( a rare 1 owner car from new )
Let that be a lesson to all you 8V people that like to cane it when cold because it goes quicker ( fun though it is )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.