Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I needed to clean my ITG filter (cylinder one as per Abbott styleee) - and this is how ITG suggest you do it:

"All you need to clean the filter is warm water and washing up liquid.

The first thing to do after you have removed the filter from the car is to remove the inner mesh from the filter, with this done you can now start cleaning the filter. Using warm water, massage in the washing up liquid to break down the dust retention oil and remove as much dirt as possible, repeat this until you are satisfied all the dirt has been removed – this should take no longer than a couple of minutes. DO NOT LEAVE THE FILTER TO SOAK IN WATER FOR PROLONGED PERIODS as this will start to soften up the glue. Once you are sure you have removed all the dirt rinse the filter through with clean water until ALL the detergent has been removed, then shake out any excess water and leave to dry in a warm place.

Your filter should now be ready to re-oil. Our JDR-1 dust retention coating has a white marker dye in it so you can see where it has been applied, spray an even coating all the filter and then massage the oil into foam. All you need to do now is re-fit the inner mesh and re-fit the filter to the car."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Weird - I asked ITG the exact same question this week, and got the exact same email back (from a guy called Andy Jackson).

There I was thinking I'd got personal service, but it was just a cut'n'paste job

Zip
PS: New here - 97 9k Aero 108k miles

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did it this weekend, and wish I had done it at the end of last summer - made a hell of a difference. Smoother idle, faster pick up. I will be doing this more frequently now.

PS: Don't try using the dust retention spray indoors - it goes everywhere...!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done 12k miles since it was fitted.- What was yours pre-clean?
I am surprised it clogs at all, as the gaps in the foam are big enough to get boulders through - I guess it will always build up though - I can't imaging a free-er flowing design of filter (apart from none).

·
Registered
80 Posts
about 14k. The foam is indeed open on the outside, but much finer on the inside.

Anyway, its the retention coating that does most of the trapping, not the foam itself.

There was a LOT of dust in mine when I washed it out. ITG claim no degradation in performance, but it ain't true. I will be doing mine 6 monthly from now on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts