Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '86 9000 turbo, and last wednesday I went to run an errand, and my car wouldn't start. It would turn over, but thats it. Frustrated because I couldn't find anything really wrong I left it untill Sunday.

When I tried tom start it on Sunday it started right up, like nothing ever happened. The car ran fine all week, untill Saturday. I went to start it on Saturday, and same thing, it would not start.

Now Sunday evening it started up fine.

Any ideas? or should I just not run anymore errands?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My brothers 9000 did this a coule of times. Then the other week it just stopped... would turn over but not start. Now it doesn't even turn over on a good battery.

It currently sitting at the garage waiting for someone to look at it... Once he finds out what the cause is I'll post it here.

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 9000 has been doing the same thing; cutting out at odd times then refusing to start for a while.

While at the moment I still don't know if I've cured it, I have narrowed down the causes a little. I'm pretty sure it's an electrical fault arround the fuse box next to the battery. This box controls the ignition. Normally when you turn the ignition off you hear I little buzzing sound from the DI for a few seconds(not sure what causes it?). When my car is playing up in this way I hear nothing, which leads me to think no power has ever reached the ignition circuits.

Try cleaning up the terminals to the left of the box that take power directly from the battery. Or give the whole area a bit of a poke and wobble / play with the ignition fuse in the box. Make sure you have your radio codes before you disconnect the electrics though!

Let me know how you get on!

Pete

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
is the car turning over and basicaly pumping fuel out the back?
mine ('87 9000 T) has 2 conditions where it will not start:
1: when the car has been driven for a while, allowed to reach running temp, then let sit for anywhere up to 1 hour (allowing it to cool a little.. not go cold, just cool down a bit) then the coolant temp sensor will tell the ECU that the engine is cold, and flood it with fuel.
2: when the ECU decites to open the AIC valve so that the idle speed is raised to 2500 RPM and i switch it off. If i disconnect the AIC, tap it lightly until it goes back to normal idle, (do not plug AIC in again, as it will be opened again.. this is how i know its not a stuck valve) then switch off, the car will start again no problems, that is unless conditon #1 hasn't had time to appear.
hope this helps you out

they may be troublesome, but i sill like my 9000

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, my car wouldn't start yesterday, or today, so today I am troubleshooting. I am thinking that it is flooding itself. How can I tell if it is flooded? should the spark plugs be wet?
Couple questions for you guys, what is referred to as the "DI", also what is the "AIC valve"?
thanks

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
See my other thread about a totally dead 9000. It had done the dying at odd time tricks and then died totally. Total failure of DI cart (and it also needed a TDC sensor as it stopped cranking as well).

The DI cart is what saab used to replaced the traditional ignition coil, distributor and spark leads. Basically its 4 ignition coils which sit straight onto the spark plugs. If you unbolt the red bit in the middle of the engine its fastened to that.

The AIC valve is the Automatic Idle Control valve which basically ensures the engine is running at the correct idle speed for the engine temperature.

Steve

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by more_8:
[qb]Hi, my car wouldn't start yesterday, or today, so today I am troubleshooting. I am thinking that it is flooding itself. How can I tell if it is flooded? should the spark plugs be wet?
Couple questions for you guys, what is referred to as the "DI", also what is the "AIC valve"?
thanks [/qb][/b]
Being an '86 you don't have to worry about DI.

It could be the ignition amplifier which can become tempermental with age.

I've seen some work and not work like this for a month or two before failing, but also they would die while being used (driven).

Also, sometimes if the tacho stope working high up the rev range (over 4000), that's a sign of impending IA failure.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I had this on my last 9000, and it was the little black box which houses the two connections, at the front side of the battery.
The car would be fine one minute and not the next!, it made a "click" sound when you tried to turn it over, then other times it was totaly dead but that was it.
It got me a few times when you least expected it!!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.