Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long for my Griffin 2.3t 9000 and am overwhelmed - it's the best car I have ever owned and I was bowled over with the performance from the day I got it. It is still the fastest car I have ever owned and the most luxurious.

BUT, it's an auto and I am really keen to take advantage of the cheap tuning potential of these cars and that means looking for a manual one as the auto box don't take much does it?

Grrrr.......

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If your 9000 is an LPT (as the 't' implies) then there is certainly room to take the performance up to FPT levels. SAAB were never keen on taking the auto higher than that because the torque converter in the auto box couldn't take it: it's not the HP the kills the box but the torque. You could try playing with a manual boost control (and a callibrated boost gauge) but really I'd suggest contacting a company like Maptun who may be able to tailor an ECU to your needs.

Whatever you do, keep enjoying the the flying sofa

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]If your 9000 is an LPT (as the 't' implies) then there is certainly room to take the performance up to FPT levels. SAAB were never keen on taking the auto higher than that because the torque converter in the auto box couldn't take it: it's not the HP the kills the box but the torque. You could try playing with a manual boost control (and a callibrated boost gauge) but really I'd suggest contacting a company like  Maptun who may be able to tailor an ECU to your needs.

[/qb][/b]
I've got a 2.3lpt auto and have added an Abbott ECU. Ironically, the fact that the Abbott ECU provides the lowest hp/torque improvement of the usual suspects (Abbott, Maptun, Speedparts) was an advantage to me, because the torque is still within the design limits of the auto box.

The price I paid was less that Abbott's web site said, and less than Maptun or Speedparts, too.

The upgrade is thoroughly recommended. It transforms the car's performance.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]If your 9000 is an LPT (as the 't' implies) then there is certainly room to take the performance up to FPT levels. [/qb][/b]
I thought all 9000 Griffin's were either 2.3FPT's or 3.0V6's....?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] If your 9000 is an LPT (as the 't' implies) then there is certainly room to take the performance up to FPT levels. [/qb][/b]
I thought all 9000 Griffin's were either 2.3FPT's or 3.0V6's....? [/qb][/b][/quote]I'm just going by the small 't' in the post which normally denotes LPT as opposed to large'T' which would normaly imply FPT.

While I think of it, didn't Mark A put his 2.3 Auto through the works with Abbott?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
He did get quite a bit done and IIRC the autobox ran into some problems. He wound up getting the autobox rebuilt and strengthened somewhere.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Mine is a 2.3t SE auto, and its a full blown turbo, it came out of the factory running at 200bhp. The original gearbox was replaced by a previously cherished one at 190k miles. Very soon after I upgraded by various means and it has been running at 248bhp for about 85,000 miles now. The gearbox is still fine, you just need to be sensible in 1st and 2nd gears, besides which, we all know that most of the fun comnes at 60mph+

1 - 10 of 10 Posts