Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

Has anyone played around with connecting OBD code scanners to the ISAT connector?

I've been searching around the web and have found loads of cheap DIY scanners for OBD but these only apply to late models.
From what I can tell a lot of earlier cars have compliant ECUs but often just with different physical connections.
I'd be surprised if Bosch were any different.

If it works it'll be a really handy tool for all those annoying ECU sensor gremlins.

Cheers
Gadgeteer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the OBD Scanners will only work with late cars ie: 9-5 & 9-3 models.
ISAT & Tech 11 were SAAB's own dedicated system that weren't compatible with the others. All manufacturers did this in an effort to make you go to their dealer when things went pear shaped, but the EU sussed their game, and legislated against it, forcing them to make the interfaces OBD compliant and release the data to anyone who wanted it. Hence the rash of Scanners available now. They still don't do the job as well as the dedicated unit though!
However, the Code Scanners will work with the Bosch LH fuel injection system. Trouble is, that rarely goes wrong, so you'd be laying out money for nothing really!! I think some ABS pods will also work on the Teves system found in early SAAB's, but again, is it really worth the outlay when ISAT or TECH 11 will do it all better??
Pete.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Acually not Tech 11 but Tech II or am I wrong? I saw it in action, at our local SAAB garage. Nice thing. By the way, it connects almost directly to ECUs (connectors are placed under passengers seat, accesible from front).
But, then, what a hell of the connector(s) are placed in motor-apartment near the wind shield (al least that 6-pin round one)???
Anyway - I'm very interested in topic regarding connecting SAABs and computers... and any info will be appreciated.
IMHO this theme was a bit tabu, and was not well discussed, wasn't it?

BR
Dzintars

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,

I've built a cheap OBD scanner, and bugger me - IT WORKS!

Last night I played around with the diagnostic trouble codes and engine parameters (manifold pressure, oxygen sensor, ignition advance, temperatures etc etc)

Next challenge is to get into the gearbox and air-con computers.

I'll keep you posted

Gadgeteer

·
Registered
218 Posts
Gadgeteer, I think the general concensus is that most of us would be very interested in a scanner for the OBD codes. My recent posting about my APC problems highlighted that when I asked if the main dealer could find out my problem and it would be £60 +VAT just to plug it on
Circuit Diagrams would be very interesting.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

Looks like I've struck a nerve here.

In answer to your questions:

1. Kevin - Yep - I guess its basically the same as the codes the dealers get, but perhaps they get some extra saab-specific codes I don't know about. Having said that - I've only just started looking so maybe I'll know more later.

2. Derek - Yep - of course I'll tell you all how its done. Just let me tidy it all up a bit first.

3. Pete, mines a 1995 CSE 2.0 LPT with a trionic ECU. My brother in law has a K-reg 2.3 HPT and I'll try it on that as soon as I get a chance.

As I said, I'll post all the info . . . but . . . I have a cunning plan . . .

Now that I've got it to work I'd like to knock up a circuit board and make it all a bit neater.
How about we all get together and help each other out here. I'll make up some circuits and give them out FREE in exchange for . . .

A) A funky website to post all the circuit diagrams, engine codes, software, info etc etc.

B) Some decent windows software to drive the hardware. You'd have to be willing to post it on the website for everyone else though.

c) Some decent Windows CE software so we can talk to our engines from our palmtops. (My mates already offered to do this one)

D) A full trionic wiring diagram (I've never been able to find one of these!)

E) A whole load of other things I haven't thought of yet.

Whaddya reckon?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I can help with the funky website - I can give you access to upload data as required and incorporate it into the saabscene group of sites (see grey menu bar at top of each page), if you wish?

Alternatively, tell me what to say and I'll design the site for you aswell for the benefit of publicising it for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What sort of fault codes is your scanner giving you? I've got access to lists of ISAT codes. They mostly seem to be in the format 80xxx or 8Bxxx. Does this match with what you're getting? If so, I can let you have the lists.
Pete.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was researching this stuff for the chevy engines and found that whilst most scanners will read the ordinary codes etc to actually change any of the paramaters a chevy specific scanner was required at much greater cost. Well, a lot more then I can afford The dealer scanners usually reveal more information specific to the the vehicle being scanned ie alarm settings etc.

Incidentally, can anybody on here access a gems ecu as found on land rovers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.