Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have stage 3 on the car with stock air filter and air box. Lets say, that the ECU requests an amount of air mass @ 3000rpm, then the turbo will try to boost the requested air mass from ECU. If i modify the air box (take away the plastic inlet pipe where the air enters) and go direct with a briefly 3" pipe to air box then the engine will get more air and the turbo won't have to boost so high in order to give the requested air mass. As result the intake temps will be reduced and in some cases this will allow more HP because of better ignition times and lower intake temps. Am i right?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The additional ignition timing will occur if your car was pulling timing from knock previously. There will be a certain reduction in mechanical pumping losses in either case. The amount of power generated by each is subject to great debate and is difficult to measure even on a dyno.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm no authority on this, but I'd guess that it's pretty much a function of the software in your stage 3. Who's software is it? And, was it written with whatever calibration was required with the stock intake and MAF? I think the issues involved with this were sucessfully argued by a technician from Hirsch, not that long ago on this board.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I might not have made myself very clear, let me try again: if whoever did the software did it with some tolerance for future intake variations, then maybe yes, it could result in more horsepower. Then again, it could be that those tolerances weren't made and your engine would be operating under better conditions, but your targeted torque/hp values remain what they were before you increased the VE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.