Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the site for UK Car and found this,now I was thing of buying a 2.3 but after reading this I really dont know.
because basically its slower than the one I have which is a 2.0 turbo,I thought I read somewhere that 2.3 'kicks out' about 220 ish BHP (or is that the turbo version of it?).
But is this report below right?

Cost New N/A Residual @ 3 years N/A
Produced from Jan 1 1990 to Oct 1 1990

Service Interval Insurance Group Safety Rating Smog Rating
6000 14 Not Available Band (D)
Engine BHP CC Fuel Inj.
16 Valve DOHC 150 2290 Yes
Cyl Camshafts Valves/cyl Compressor
4 Double 4 None
Top Speed 0 to 60 BHP per Tonne
127mph 10seconds 111
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Fuel Type
20.3mpg 38.4mpg 28.5mpg Unleaded
Kerb Weight Tow Weight Length Width Height
1365kg 1600kg 475cm 178cm 142cm
Boot Seats/up Boot Seats/Down Seats
448 Litres 1183 Litres 5

Printable set of Specifications
View the UKCAR Calculated index for this Car

·
Registered
706 Posts
According to my Parkers price guide;

2.0i 130bhp
2.0 LPT (Light Pressure Turbo) 165-70bhp
2.3i 150bhp
2.3 LPT 200bhp
2.3 Turbo (on Aero & '97 CSE's) 225bhp

These are for models from '91 onwards.

Basically, your car has more power than all of the standard 2.3's.
The listing you gave looks like that of a standard 2.3
You'll have to buy one with a turbo if you want more power.
The Aero's come with all the toys and have more power than a Cosworth! hint, hint ;-)
0-60 6.2-6.5 secs, 148mph, IG 17

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Parkers is wrong!

I've had enough 9000's to know what the figures are;
2.0i = 130bhp
2.0Turbo = 185bhp ( pre Cat)
= 175bhp (post Cat)
2.0T Carlsson = 205 bhp
2.0 LPT = 150bhp
2.3i = 150 bhp
2.3LPT = 170bhp
2.3 Turbo = 200bhp
2.3 Aero = 225bhp

Not sure about 97/98 2.3 Turbos, mine is a '96

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's correct Derek except the 1990 2.0 carlsson had a smaller turbo than the 89 and even catless it was down to 195 bhp. Although it is damn fast.

Skiddens I have read those 0/60 figs on U>S sites but saab quote 6.7 for the aero and 149 mph.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Skiddins - std cossie 4x4 220BHP, 2wd 204BHP.
but both are lighter than most saabs and 0-60 in either would beat any std production saab.
+ the were all de-tuned from around 280BHP at the request of the Police and insurance companies.
A cheap (less than £200) chip upgrade will give you 270/280BHP, more mid range torque and vastly improved acceleration.

+ you can get the power down on the road, especially the esc cos (all of them are 4wd) and the sapphire 4x4.
I have sold my sapphire 4x4 cosworth last year, currently got 900SE turbo - I'm afraid there is no comparison.
If you want more speed and a moderate amount of comfort - get a cossie.
Saabs more sedate and comfortable with good power.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Without getting into the mine is faster than yours debate, you really need to compare a manual Aero with a cosworth, even though the cars are quite different in character.

I have been in (but not driven) a std 2wd cosworth and in a straight line I think it would be a fairly close thing with my Aero. Round the lanes my Aero would be in a ditch if i tried to keep up with a 4x4.

I must admit one of the things I like about my Aero is that badges removed no one knows what it is(especially joy riders), and i don't get followed by the police every day.

If you like quality cars that go quickly, yet have limited funds, get youself a manual Aero.

·
Registered
600 Posts
As a worshipper of the great SAAB ones i hate to say the following, but if SAABs are supposed to be good in snow, why is this when they only make 2wd. Only a thought anyway, I am now off to punish myself for even questioning the great SAAB ones

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
JFP,
The engine over the driven front wheels makes Saabs much better than rear wheel drive in the snow.

Having said that, In Sweden (and probably other Scandinavian countries) it is illegal not to drive with winter tyres in winter. These are either studdied, or the new special silicon 'Snow Tyres', hence the need for 4x4 is much reduced.

Add snow chains and 4x4's are redundant... maybe!

The problem for us Brits is that we aren't used to snow and it reaps havoc on our roads on the rare occassion we get it.

Parkers, and the UK CAR figures have errors, and I agree with Dereks figures.. allowing for the fact that there are a few minor variations with year and country.

For example the 2L ECO at 150BHP was released at 185BHP in Italy - Same engine, different ECU chip.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As Colin Chapman said 'For speed, first add lightness'
A Cossie is around a quarter of a ton lighter and rear wheel drive. This gives it a head start in the accelleration department.
Personally I prefer the combination of build quality, comfort, and performance that Saabs give. Oh and as above, a lower profile with the criminal fraternity and police doesn't go amiss either.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Without wishing to offend anyone, i have never, and will never, own a Ford, and i don't care what it has under the bonnet.
Though it did have RWD.

Sorry guys, but, im MY opinion, they were always a [expletive deleted] car with a good engine and i hated the 'Essex' image they had.
I have a friend of a friend who has spent £7500 on the engine of his Saphire Cossie taking it to 450bhp, but it still has a dreadfull Ford interior.
If i what to return to fast RWD pace i would buy a Lotus Carlton (i got my Aero to replace my Carlton GSI 24V)

According to my old car mags there should only be about 100kg difference between Cossies and the Aero's.

I only wish my Aero was rear wheel drive with an LSD, and i don't care what anyone says, RWD makes the handling more dependable, doesn't do stupid things with the steering wheel, increases grip and makes it harder to break traction in ANY conditions.
Yes, it will still struggle in snow etc but every car does.

Sorry, just getting my monies worth ;-)

Skiddins

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.