Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under full acceleration, my boost gauge goes 3/4 of the way into the orange and stays there.It only occasionaly jumps to the dotted red. Is that normal or should it always go to the red dotted lines (and stay there) as I think I read somewhere around here? The car is very quick,but I was just wondering.

Thanks
Harry
1992 CS Carlsson

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
No, my standard 1992 2.3t CD boosts deep into the red. That said mine has had new chains, TCS and a gearbox rebuild very recently! However, my 89 Carlsson was doing that until I replaced the exhaust downpipe. After the downpipe was done it was boosting 1/4 into the red most of the time (it had the old style APC gauge).

If your engines a bit "rattly" then it may be that the ECU and APC units are just protecting your engine. However a number of factors can cause this:

- Split vacuum hoses
- Worn / dirty APC solenoid valve or knock sensor
- Blown exhaust sections or gaskets

Hope you find the root of the problem without too much hassle!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I was getting a similar boost profile (even with my home-fitted relief valve) until Abbots looked at it and decided there was a fault somewhere along the line (probably APC) and that the easiest / cheapest way to sort it would be to fir one of their own relief valves and bypass some of the APC functionality. It did the trick and now - under the "right" cicumstances mine boosts half the way into the red .. or even more.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no, I'm missing out!

I have the car booked in for a 100k service next Tuesday at the guys in the workshop in Hanham.I 'll ask them to take a look at it. Coud it be just the auto's lower boost (0.7 compared to 1 bar, I think), as the auto CS carlssons were detuned to 200hp?

Just a thought....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.