Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know much about 9000's and I am trying to learn, please bear w/me. I looked at a 1990 turbo CD for my mom, and I smelled antifreeze when I turned on the vents. I heard that 9000's are notorius fro the heater cores going bad. Could this be a symptom? How do I check/fix? What else could it be? Ps. sorry for originally posting this topic on the 900 page!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got the same problem,especially when the engines nice and hot and the coolant pressure rises.I keep meaning to replace the heater matrix but I think it has to be done from under the bonnet.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Heater Matrix failure normally results in lots of condensation on window (with vent on screen) and smell of antifreeze. Most likely Matrix failure although you won't know for sure if a pipe has come off or perished until you check.

As always, don't buy franchised dealer part as they are twice the price of non-franchised dealer parts.

If you have Air Conditioning the removal of the Heater Matrix is very tricky. Much easier though without Air Con fitted.

Haynes manual gives a good description of Heater Matrix removal/replacement. But when I did the job I had to remove bonnet to fully remove Matrix. 4 hour job by Saab Technician. 8 hours DIY!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would not think a saab tech would take 4 hours to change heater matrix, if you remove the bulkhead panal to gain access to heater the job is not that bad but if you have air con the job does take a bit longer its easier to recover refigerant first then regas when job done (this has to be done by a air con engineer)so makes diy a bit tricky
but before you start taking heater to bits check the heater hoses they can split and leak were they connect to the matrix giving the same symtems as a leaking matrix

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I was quoted the '4 hours' by a Saab technician based on the standard Saab workshop 'job time' figues, if I recollect correctly. I was a bit surprised myself, but recon that the standard 'job times' are a bit generous.. and certainly not rushed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts