Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

I have two problems which I hope you can help with.

1) I have a Saab 93 2.2 TiD (2001). A few months ago it wouldn't start - the battery sounded fine, but it didn't fire up. I got it towed to my local garage who checked the glowplugs and found they were OK. They said they didn't know why it hadn't started for me, because it was fine for them.

Starting hasn't been a problem since, until yesterday when the same thing happened. The AA said it was faulty glowplugs. Could this be the case, bearing in mind the garage's diagnosis a few months before?

I have been reading around the subject in this forum and others, and see that this seems to be a fairly common problem with the 93 2.2 TiD, though I have also seen faulty relays and damaged spill pipes mentioned as potential culprits.

I have ordered some new glowplugs which should arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed. Do you recommend I also fit a new relay (I fitted one in about 2005/6)? What about new spill pipes - are they easy enough for an amateur mechanic to do?

2) Incidentally, in the last year the car has developed what my garage calls an 'intermittent fault' - where the engine management light comes on and the power drops. They cannot trace the fault and said it's not doing any harm, but it is a real pain, especially when it happens in the middle of overtaking. Any suggestions?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Nasher

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the starter motor turns, try 30 seconds on, 30 off for 3-4 minutes when it doesnt start. If this works, its air in the fuel system and could be spill pipes, injector seals or a dodgy connector at the fuel filter

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think yours is the old 93, and not the 03-06 saloon model but I suppose the engine is the same

When my battery was on its way out, the car got more and more difficult to start. It turned over okay, it just took longer for it to catch.

Apart from that, I had no other problems but when it failed it wasn't a graceful fail. It simply wouldn't start at all (tried bump starting).

New battery and all was well again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for these suggestions. I will try the on/off starting and see if that works. Hopefully we'll be back on the road again soon.

CHR15 - I had a problem with the battery last year so it's fairly new (10 months-ish), so I don't think it can be that but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll let you know how it gets fixed.....

Nasher

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I had the same problem with the diesel engine in my Shogum. I was told it was the glowplugs, but being curious I checked it myself and found the wire that runs to the plate that fits to the top of the glow plugs had come loose, so no current was being sent through the heating plate(?)

Replaced the connector (30p) and everything has worked fine. As I said it may be a different set up with your engine, but hopefully the principle is the same

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

Update - got car started using the "tkerby technique"!

Have fitted 3 new glowplugs - the 4th seems to have welded itself in. Any tips on how to get it out without damaging anything else?

Unfortunately the car still wouldn't start, so have also fitted a new relay - just waiting for the car to cool down sufficiently to see if that does the trick. Fingers crossed!

Nasher

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi can you not use multimeter and measure the glowplug rail should be around 12v when ignition is first switched on, if you dont have meter try soldering wires onto 12v bulb and checking this way this will also check that there is a bit of current there and if leads long enough you will be able to see yourself without a helper to turn key. I had this prob with 1.8 diesel fiesta turned out to be the power cable to glow plug rail hed broken near battery (looked ok but the bulb test gave it away) maybe worth a go..
:)
as for stuck glow plug maybe a squirt of WD40 and a nice soak for a while might free it a little ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.